Let’s face it, we all have sugar cravings every once in a while – especially around the holidays, where delicious cookies and pies are teasing us on every corner!
If the promise of a slimmer waistline hasn’t curbed your sweet tooth, maybe the desire for smoother, younger looking skin will.
Recent findings suggest that a diet high in sugar can contribute to acne and accelerate skin aging. At blame is a natural process that’s known as glycation – a process through which sugar molecules enter your bloodstream and attach to proteins to form harmful new molecules known as advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs), which cause protein fibers such as collagen and elastin (fibers that keep skin firm and elastic) to become stiff and malformed.
The average American consumes nearly 89 grams of sugar per day. That’s more than four times the recommended amount for women (20 grams) and more than twice the recommended amount for men (36 grams). This tells us that there is certainly some room for improvement in our daily sugar intake levels.
While fruits contain varying amounts of sugar, they still offer numerous health benefits in terms of high vitamin and nutrient content – therefore making them a great option if you are craving something sweet.
What is concerning is that many of our other “go-to” foods may contain added sugars and we may not even know it. Food companies list sugar under aliases like dextrose, barley malt, corn syrup, fruit juice concentrate, maltose, maple syrup, molasses, fructose, and high-fructose corn syrup in an effort to hide the large amounts of sugars they contain. Therefore simply by cutting down on their consumption you can significantly reduce your sugar intake and be on the way to a healthier you!
An additional source of excess sugars is in what we are drinking – fruit juices, sodas and alcohol are also sugar-loaded culprits. Cutting down on these and occasionally substituting them for water is sure to help you get to your ideal weight and keep your skin looking smooth and youthful.
The good news about sugar-damaged skin: It’s never too late to turn back the clock. It may be tough to quit sugar cold turkey, so start by eliminating or reducing your intake of candy and chocolate. Be sure to continue to cut out additional sugary foods until you have reached your desired daily sugar intake.
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by INeedCoffee / CoffeeHero
We all have those rarely used beauty products we aren’t quite ready to throw out. What we may not take into consideration is that beauty products do go bad. At best, they stop performing as well as they used to and at worst, they can cause irritation or even infection.
The expiration clock starts as soon as you open each product – allowing for air and bacteria to come in contact with the formula, causing certain ingredients to oxidize and degrade. There are usually signs of when a beauty product has taken a turn for the worst— an unpleasant odor, change in color, texture or consistency, or a separation of components within a product.
You know your beauty products won’t last forever, so be sure to reference this guide when deciding whether a certain product is still safe to use:
- Body lotions, shower gel, and shampoo: These products generally last about two years, unless they contain specialized ingredients to fight dandruff, acne or other conditions.
- Sunscreens: The active ingredients in sunscreen lose their potency after two to three years. Check the package for an expiration date as some brands print it directly on the package.
- Clarisonic replacement brush heads: For best results, replace your brush head every 3 to 4 months to prevent bacteria buildup. Buy more and save with our brush head twin packs offer.
- Face creams and acne treatments: These products last up to a year as they contain antioxidants that are easily oxidized, so keep an eye out for any changes in color. Be sure to follow the expiration date if available.
- Perfumes: Fragrances usually last about 2 years – they can be adversely affected by light and heat, so if you’re looking to get more mileage out of your perfume, resist the temptation to display a pretty bottle on your vanity and instead keep it in a cool, dark place.
- Nail polish: Polish tends to only last about a year as it is particularly sensitive to heat and humidity. If you notice your nail polish turning clumpy or stringy, it’s time to toss it out.
- Deodorant: For deodorants, a general rule of thumb is that it expires about 1 to 2 years after opening, while antiperspirants will typically have an expiry date printed on the package.
- Foundation: Check the ingredients on your foundation: A water-based foundation will last up to 12 months, oil-based will last up to 18 months. Be sure to wash your make-up brushes at least once every three months to reduce a buildup of bacteria.
- Mascara and liquid eyeliner: These products last three to four months. Make sure you’re diligent about replacing these items to prevent contamination and infections.
- Eye and lip pencils: These can usually last 3 to 5 years. Sharpen them before each use in order to preserve them and keep them clean.
- Lipstick: Lipstick is good for 1 to 2 years. When expires it tends to gather bacteria in the form of beads of oil on the surface of the lipstick itself as well as have unpleasant taste and odor.
Let’s face it, we all have some beauty products that have been sitting around for a while. Whatever the reason may be, if you’re not sure if it’s good any longer just throw out the old and bring in the new.
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by Mubina H.
Crisp air, falling leaves, cozy throws, and pumpkin treats – fall is a magical time of year!
Unfortunately, it’s also the time of year when the days start getting shorter and we lose an extra hour of daylight when the clocks get turned back.
This lack of sunshine can cause havoc on our moods and energy levels, so to prepare you for the shorter days ahead we wanted to provide you with a few tips for staying cheerful and energized:
- Vitamin D – The sun is the best source of Vitamin D, which our body needs to function properly, so with shorter days comes less vitamin D – potentially causing depression, fatigue, muscle weakness, and more. Consider supplements, and be sure to incorporate fish, eggs, milk, shitake and button mushrooms into your diet.
- Happy light – Improve your mood, energy and concentration with a sunshine supplement light system, which prompts your body’s natural energy enhancers to combat the effects of seasonal changes by helping the body recalibrate and stabilize.
- Sleep schedule – Try adjusting your sleep schedule to get the most sunlight possible out of your day. By going to bed and waking up earlier, you will still get the beauty sleep you need while catching some extra daylight. Tough, yes, but definitely worth it!
- Cozy up in front of a fire – Fire has a unique ability to relax us and calm the mind, so why not kill two birds with one stone by cozying up in a nice cashmere throw in front of a fire as it warms your home.
- Surround yourself with light – While we’re usually not supporters of wasting energy, we’re willing to make an exception in the fall. Pick a room or two in your home where you spend the most time and make sure it’s thoroughly lit to make ensure your home is as cheery as can be during these gloomy days.
- Exercise – It’s no secret that exercise lifts mood, increases energy and elevates your metabolism. Even 10 to 15 minutes of exercise per day can do wonders for your mood, and if you do it outdoors in the sunshine, you will get double the benefits. So aim to get outdoors each day, even if it’s just for a short walk.
Do you have trouble staying awake and energized during this time of the year? Tell us how you keep the blues away!
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by kelsey_lovefusionphoto
If you love fruit that’s both delicious and good for you – you’re in for a treat!
The pitaya, also known as the dragon fruit, is not only an amazing ingredient for general health, but also does wonders for your skin – which is why it is one of our favorite natural beauty secrets.
This fruit keeps popping up as key ingredient in numerous beauty products and nutritional supplements for its richness in fiber, antioxidants and natural oils.
Here are just a few of the ways the pitaya can benefit your skin and body:
- Fights aging – The pitaya is a rich source of antioxidants and helps to fight free radicals in the body. Decreasing the number of free radicals slows down the aging process, leaving you with younger-looking skin.
- Rich source of vitamins and minerals – Full of vitamin C and B as well as minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and iron, this fruit helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Great source of fiber – The pitaya is well known for its cleansing properties of the digestive system, and we all know that having a healthy digestive system can do wonders for your skin and overall health.
- Weight management – Because the pitaya is low in calories and rich source of fiber, it helps to give the sensation of being full without adding extra pounds.
- Healthy heart – Not only does this fruit help reduce bad cholesterol while improving good cholesterol levels, it is also full of mono-saturated fats, which ensure the cardiovascular system is in tip-top shape.
- Improves eyesight – Pitaya contains carotene which helps in maintaining and improving eyesight.
Tasty and full of health benefits, pitaya is generally cut in half and eaten raw (including the seeds) using a spoon. You can add a little tang by squeezing a few drops of lemon directly onto the fruit. It would make a great dessert addition or blended with other tropical fruits in a smoothie.
We’ll be providing continuing coverage of additional natural ingredients that can have a beneficial impact on your body in future blog posts, so keep an eye out and be sure to check out our previous posts on Natural Beauty Secrets: Coconut Oil, Avocado, and Kale.
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by Olivier H.
We’ve been blown away by our fans’ support.
We love hearing how the Clarisonic Skin Cleansing System has improved your skin – after all, our goal is to make the world a more beautiful place, one face at a time!
- Patches of dry skin are minimized, or disappear
- Pores are thoroughly cleansed, making them appear smaller
- Refreshed and hydrated skin that’s more receptive to product penetration
- Reduced appearance of fine lines, blackheads, blemishes, dullness, and puffiness
- Improvement in the texture and appearance of skin tone
“I’m so thrilled with this product.. The Mia 2 with acne cleanser is absolutely amazing!! My face after 2 days!! YES! 2 days is looking much smoother, less oily and acne is smaller is size! My face isn’t irritated and I don’t feel like scratching all the time!! I’m SO pleased and happy that something is working after all the years of having to deal with my facial acne.” –Carlene Alix
We greatly appreciate the feedback our customers provide us, and wanted to share this great Before & After story from a Clarisonic user. As you can see in the images below, after only 7 days of using Clarisonic, Amanda Trudy Blyskal showed significant improvements in skin tone and texture.
Here are some more great Before & After shots:
Sonic cleansing is the natural way to thoroughly cleanse all skin types. And unlike skin treatments that use harsh chemicals or rely on friction to remove impurities, the sonic micro-massage motion is effective, yet gentle enough to use twice a day – even on sensitive skin. This effortless action removes six times more dirt and oil than cleansing with your hands alone.
Share your story on our Facebook Reviews Tab – who knows, maybe it will make it on to our next Before & After post!
Image by Lady Por Menos – Moroccanoil e Clarisonic and Amanda Trudy Blyskal
In keeping with a week focused on aesthetics and design, the new Clarisonic Aria Sonic Skin Cleansing Brush fits right in among the hustle and bustle of Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week.
In order to get “runway ready” at the Chadwick Bell Spring/Summer 2013 show last week, the models received mini Clarisonic facials and sonic eye treatments from celebrity aesthetician Eileen Harcourt. Between running from show-to-show and attending late night soirees, models often neglect their most important accessory: their skin!
Before getting in the hair or makeup chair, models first stopped at the Clarisonic table to receive a refreshing Aria mini facial. A few minutes of relaxation was much appreciated amidst the vibrant backstage buzz.
Models were thrilled to hear that the Aria cleanses skin 6X better than manual cleansing and that it is gentle enough to use twice a day. This sonic device removed any dirt and oil from the models’ skin allowing Lancôme skincare products to be absorbed more effectively.
Who wants to look tired on the catwalk? Thankfully, the Clarisonic Opal Sonic Infusion System came to the models’ rescue! Eileen used the device to gently knead serum into the skin around the models’ under-eye areas at 125 movements per second. This sonic infusion thoroughly hydrated the models’ skin and helped combat under-eye bags. The minute long treatment was the perfect pick-me-up for those strutting under the bright lights of the runway!
Fashion-Forward and Functional
Busy models, stylists, makeup artists, editors and bloggers barely have time to sleep, let alone charge their electronics during Fashion Week. The Clarisonic Aria’s functional USB charger was a life-saver for those spending the majority of the week backstage. Through simply plugging Aria into a laptop, the device’s charge can last for hours.
A Perfect Canvas
Lancôme makeup artist Daniel Martin loves his Clarisonic and was thrilled about the addition of Aria to the backstage lineup. A thorough Clarisonic cleansing by Eileen provided him with the perfect canvas for makeup application. Foundations and concealers went on smoothly and evenly. The Chadwick Bell look consisted of a natural, matte face with a strong emphasis on the eyes and cheeks. The look conveyed both strength and vulnerability.
The Chadwick Bell 2013 Spring/Summer Readywear Collection was inspired by the marriage of all things romantic and utilitarian with an emphasis on neutrals infused with small pops of green, yellow and violet color.
Because the Lancôme makeup look was minimalistic with a focus on cheek bones and eyes, glowing skin truly took center stage. Aria’s “form meets function” motto came to life at the Chadwick Bell Show as the models strutted down the runway glowing with sonic style!
When your body is properly hydrated, you look and feel your best. But will drinking water really improve the appearance of your skin and give you that glow you’ve always wanted?
Consuming the right amount of water maintains a healthy level of moisture within the skin cells. If your skin is not getting a sufficient amount of water, it tends to become dry, tight, flaky, and wrinkly. With adequate hydration, you’ll have healthier and younger looking skin.
How do you determine how much water you should drink daily? While the recommended amount varies depending on many factors including your physical activity, current health condition, and even the weather, the Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate daily water intake for men is roughly about 13 cups and for women about 9 cups.
Here are just a few of the ways drinking water can benefit your body:
• Increased energy
• Reduced risk of disease and infection
• A radiant complexion
• Flush out toxins
• Improve circulation and blood flow
• Moisturize and protect the joints
• Enhance health
• Regulate body temperature
• Carry nutrients to every cell of your body
• Burn more fat and gain more muscle
Keep in mind that drinking water alone won’t get you to flawless skin and that drinking an excessive amount can lead to serious health complications. Experts say that a combination of a balanced diet, sunscreen, cleansing, and plenty of exercise are also vital to improving your skin’s appearance. It’s never too late to start the healthy habit of drinking water!
If you’ve ever heard the saying “you are what you eat,” you know that it is important to fill your body with natural foods full of vitamins and nutrients to keep it healthy. Avocados are delicious and nutritious and provide a variety of benefits for your body. The oils found in avocados are made up of fatty acids, vitamins and essential nutrients with antioxidant qualities that sooth and moisturize the skin.
Here are a few ways you can incorporate avocados and their oil into your diet and beauty routine:
Skincare – Avocados are rich in Vitamin A, which is critical in maintaining and restoring healthy skin. Their antioxidant properties help eliminate the toxins that cause premature aging and wrinkling of the skin. To improve your skin’s complexion, treat yourself to an avocado facial by mashing and applying the avocado to the skin two to four times a week for 10 minutes at a time, and thoroughly rinsing your face with water following each treatment.
Hair conditioning – Create a conditioning mask for your hair by mashing one avocado with an egg and a tablespoon of olive oil and then applying it directly on the scalp for 20 min prior to your regular hair care routine. This mask offers a hydrating effect as well as helps hair regain its shine, elasticity and body.
Sun protection – Applying avocado oil to your skin before heading out into the sun can help to naturally protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun. Avocados are also famous for their anti-inflammatory properties, so if you are looking to alleviate the pain of a sunburn, lather a mashed avocado onto your skin for a quick relief.
Diet benefits –Although 85% of the calories in avocados come from fat, this fat is unusual as it offers numerous health benefits. Packed with healthy monounsaturated fat, lutein, folate, potassium and other vitamins and nutrients, avocadoes fight high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, and prevent health problems such as diabetes and cancer. Incorporating avocadoes into your diet can be as simple as adding fresh slices to your salads, sandwiches, and tacos.
Clearly, the avocado has been deemed a “wonder fruit” for good reason! We’ll be covering additional natural ingredients that can have a beneficial impact on your body in future blog posts, so keep an eye out and be sure to check out our post on Natural Beauty Secrets: Coconut Oil.