It’s starting to heat up outside and the layers are coming off. But how do you stay stylish when all you want to wear each day are shorts and tank tops? Accessories. Hats, shoes, jewelry, and sunglasses are fun and easy ways to make otherwise simple outfits stand out. Here are our picks for summer’s hottest accessories.
Wide-brimmed, floppy hats are total statement pieces, and they have the added benefit of shielding your face from harmful UV rays. We like this simple, black hat from Zara, but a classic straw shade is great, too. Pair your hat with a maxi dress or some short shorts and strappy sandals, or bring it with you to the beach.
Sunglasses are the most obvious summer accessory, but styles come and go with the years. Stick to a classic shape that fits your face shape and you’ll be able to wear them dressed up or down. We love the TOMS eyewear line because it’s simple and classic with a unique touch of color, but also gives you the opportunity to help someone in need. With every pair you purchase, TOMS will help give sight to a person in need.
Wedges are the perfect summer shoe. Comfortable, easy to wear day or night, and fun—we can’t get enough of them. We love these Kelly green Santa Monica Pier Wedges from ModCloth because the color is on-trend and attention-grabbing. Ankle-strap platforms are another fun trend this summer – check out this list from Lucky to find a pair that you like.
Nothing will dress up a plain t-shirt faster than a bold, brightly-colored necklace like this J.Crew Bubble Necklace. This season is all about neon, so be bold and embrace lively colors. You’ll shine even brighter in the sun!
Balance out a flowing white blouse or a little white dress with a few stacked wooden bracelets on your wrists. Wooden jewelry gives your style a natural, organic feel but still stands out. It’s also more comfortable in the hot sun than metal! Check out Good Housekeeping’s picks for some great, affordable options.
Add a burst of color to your outfit—and emphasize your womanly figure—with a summery leather belt. We love J. Crew’s neon skinny belts!
Which summer accessories are you dying to get your hands on? Did we forget any major looks?
Vacation season is on the horizon and it’s time to think about getting swimsuit-ready.
Donning a bikini in front of others takes courage and confidence, but if you take good care of your body beforehand you’ll be beach-ready and worry free by the time you hit the sand. Just be sure to eat your full 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day, drink lots of water, and choose your beauty regimen with care.
Waxing: If you’re thinking of getting a bikini wax, do your research before deciding on a spa. Traditional waxing can be harmful to your skin and unsanitary if done incorrectly, so we tend to prefer sugaring (a natural, toxin-free process that only adheres to hair, so it won’t damage your skin).
Tanning: If you want to come to the beach with a glow, skip the tanning beds and try a self-tanner. You can check out our tips for getting the perfect sunless tan if you’re looking for options. And don’t forget to use and reapply sunscreen regularly once you’re out in the sun.
Cleansing: If you think you’re the only person out there with body acne, rest assured that you’re not. Everyone deals with it at some point, and getting rid of it is just a matter living a healthy lifestyle and cleansing regularly. The Clarisonic Body Brush Extension Handle makes it easy to deep-clean hard-to-reach spots like the middle of your back, your knees, and your feet.
Exercise: Try exercises that tone your body, like yoga or jogging. Just don’t stress out about it too much. Extreme dieting and last-minute sets of 100 sit-up repetitions won’t do anything for you but make you tired (and they might even cause more acne!).
Now, get out there and enjoy yourself. You deserve it!
*Photo by Kidoki licensed through Creative Commons
Spring is quickly approaching: soon Uggs and sweaters will make way for flip flops and sundresses. Though the temptation may be powerful to jump in a tanning bed for some color before baring your limbs, be strong! As skin enthusiasts, we can’t overstate the harmful effects of tanning beds enough, in addition to the long-term benefits of shielding your skin from the damage sun exposure causes. Here are some healthy tips to create that beautiful tan you’re longing for with the help of a few key products:
Sunless tanner. Sunless tanners and bronzers have come a long way from the days of orange, streaky nightmares. Today, proper exfoliation and quality products will give you a glow that’s unidentifiable from the real thing. Use your Clarisonic with your favorite body exfoliant in the shower (we love Kiehl’s Crème de Corps Soy Milk and Hony Body Polish which exfoliates while moisturizing), dry off then apply an even coat of moisturizer over your whole body. Let it soak in for a few minutes (too much wetness could potentially create streaks in your tan).
Make sure you find the right self-tanner for you by doing your research (we like St. Tropez and Clarins’ self-tanners) and going through a “test run” – choose an unnoticeable location to dab a bit of the tanner to see how it reacts with your skin before covering your body with it. Once you’ve found the right tanner, apply it carefully, wearing latex gloves to avoid dyed palms. You might prefer using tinted foam or lotion rather than a neutral tone, since you will easily be able to see your application. Spread the self-tanner evenly in straight motions (circular motions can cause streaking) and be particularly careful of areas with dryer skin or crevices, like elbows and feet. Keep in mind that you should do a lighter coat when first trying a self-tanner – if it’s too light, you can always add more later.
Make sure you don’t have plans or visitors right after applying your self-tanner, because you’re going to need to hang out au naturale for about half an hour (follow your sunless tanner’s instructions) to ensure you get a smooth, even application. And if you do happen to get a few spots which look a bit streaky or orange, no fear! Add a bit of lemon juice to your Clarisonic brush head and cleanse the area to help even it out.
What are your favorite sunless tanners and bronzers?
Is it beach and pool season already?
To keep your skin looking young, fresh, and healthy this summer we at Clarisonic, have come up with some helpful tips. Our number one suggestion, protect your skin from the sun.
The sun emits harmful UV rays that can cause wrinkles and increase your chances of getting melanoma. Consider these quickand easy things you can do to keep your skin looking and feeling healthy while having fun in the sun.
- The sun’s rays during the summer months can be stronger depending on the altitude and latitude of your location. In general, the sun is the most powerful between 10:00am and 4:00pm. Keep this in mind when hitting the beach or lounging by the pool.
- Keep a bottle of sun screen handy, ideally with an SPF of 30 or higher. Studies have shown that sunscreen that contains titanium oxide and zinc oxide may work better than others. Even on a cloudy day, the sun’s rays can affect your skin. Get in the habit of using a moisturizer with an SPF.
- Wear a cute floppy hat, to shade your face and upper body where you skin is sensitive. If you’re an avid hiker or jogger, switch to a baseball hat.
- The best sun protective clothing is dark and tightly woven. A plain, white t-shirt will do little to protect your skin. If possible, opt for a shady spot or carry a sun umbrella with you to protect your skin.
What you do during the summer months to protect your skin?
We all want to look our best during the summer and with just a few simple steps it can be easy! All you have to do is create the perfect accessory collection and then mix and match them for the perfect summer look.
- Find a pair of flattering sunglasses that fit your face shape.
- Don’t forget the hat! It’s great to keep the sun off your face and to hide a bad hair day.
- Complement your sundress with a set of nice stacked bangles for a complete look.
- Cover up your feet with a pair of sexy summer shoes.
Learn more great “summer look” tips and tricks from InStyle magazine.
Skin endures a lot during the summer months – sunshine, pool water and dry air –it can be tough to keep it looking healthy. We’ve compiled a list of tips and tricks to help you stay cool, feel cool and look cool in the summer heat.
- Sunscreen is ESSENTIAL on exposed and unexposed skin
- It’s also important to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water; this is especially important if you are physically active
- While you’re protecting yourself don’t forget to protect your lips with SPF lip balm
- Kiehl’s Lip Balm SPF 15 helps protect against sunburn and relieves chapped lips
- Wear lightweight and light colored clothing to protect your skin and stay cool in the heat
- Wear a hat with a large brim to shade your neck and face
- Finish off your look with a bright lipstick
- Check out Summer Skin Tips from Daniel Sandler for a complete summer skin look featuring bright lipstick colors and the Clarisonic
- A shade from MAC Cosmetics To the Beach line is perfect for summer
- Use a bold summer nail polish color
- Popular colors for summer include: bright pink, baby blue, light green, taupe and traditional pale pink.
- Try one of the fabulous shades from the OPI Summer Flutter collection.
- Simplify your makeup routine and stick to the basics
How do you beat the summer heat? We’d love to hear your tips and tricks – leave a comment!