If you’ve ever heard the saying “you are what you eat,” you know that it is important to fill your body with natural foods full of vitamins and nutrients to keep it healthy. Avocados are delicious and nutritious and provide a variety of benefits for your body. The oils found in avocados are made up of fatty acids, vitamins and essential nutrients with antioxidant qualities that sooth and moisturize the skin.
Here are a few ways you can incorporate avocados and their oil into your diet and beauty routine:
Skincare – Avocados are rich in Vitamin A, which is critical in maintaining and restoring healthy skin. Their antioxidant properties help eliminate the toxins that cause premature aging and wrinkling of the skin. To improve your skin’s complexion, treat yourself to an avocado facial by mashing and applying the avocado to the skin two to four times a week for 10 minutes at a time, and thoroughly rinsing your face with water following each treatment.
Hair conditioning – Create a conditioning mask for your hair by mashing one avocado with an egg and a tablespoon of olive oil and then applying it directly on the scalp for 20 min prior to your regular hair care routine. This mask offers a hydrating effect as well as helps hair regain its shine, elasticity and body.
Sun protection – Applying avocado oil to your skin before heading out into the sun can help to naturally protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun. Avocados are also famous for their anti-inflammatory properties, so if you are looking to alleviate the pain of a sunburn, lather a mashed avocado onto your skin for a quick relief.
Diet benefits –Although 85% of the calories in avocados come from fat, this fat is unusual as it offers numerous health benefits. Packed with healthy monounsaturated fat, lutein, folate, potassium and other vitamins and nutrients, avocadoes fight high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, and prevent health problems such as diabetes and cancer. Incorporating avocadoes into your diet can be as simple as adding fresh slices to your salads, sandwiches, and tacos.
Clearly, the avocado has been deemed a “wonder fruit” for good reason! We’ll be covering additional natural ingredients that can have a beneficial impact on your body in future blog posts, so keep an eye out and be sure to check out our post on Natural Beauty Secrets: Coconut Oil.
Coconut oil is not only an amazing ingredient for general health, but also does wonders for your hair and skin.
They say beauty is only skin deep, but the way our skin appears is often a direct result of the lifestyles we lead and the foods we consume. Our bodies love whole, natural products that are easy to digest and absorb, and contain the nutrients we rely on for energy and growth. That’s why one of our favorite natural beauty secrets is coconut oil.
Coconut oil is made up of medium-chain fatty acids that are easy for the body to dissolve and turn into energy or use to strengthen and repair connective tissue. It also has powerful antioxidant effects that stimulate thyroid function, boost your metabolism, and help heal damaged hair and skin. Some coconut oil studies even report a decreased risk of cancer and heart disease.
Here are just a few of the ways you can incorporate coconut oil into your diet and your skincare routine:
- Use it to improve your skin. By protecting against free-radicals that cause wrinkles and aging, coconut oil can keep your skin looking young and smooth. It also has strong hydrating effects that help you lock in moisture—great for those moments before you dry off after a shower.
- It works as a deep conditioner for your hair, repairing damaged hair follicles and adding shine to your locks. Just pour a small amount into your hands and massage it into your scalp and the ends of your hair for a few minutes, then rinse it out. You’ll notice a new shine right away.
- Mix it with brown sugar to create a body scrub and exfoliate. Slough away dead skin cells and make your skin smell amazing while you’re at it.
- To help prevent sunburn—or provide relief if you already have one.
- Add a teaspoon or two to your meals. We love it mixed into smoothies or drizzled over a salad.
Health and wellness is all about giving your body the care and nutrition it needs, and whole, natural ingredients are key. Take a look at our post on the Best 5 Skin Care Ingredients From Your Kitchen and stay tuned for more Natural Beauty Secrets to come!
Have you tried using coconut oil as a beauty product before?
One of the first things many of us do every morning is cleanse, powder, and paint our faces. The cleansing part makes perfect sense, but what about the makeup? Why wear it?
It’s a question we don’t honestly ask ourselves very often, and the answer is a little different for everyone. Some wear it to cover blemishes and hide the parts of their appearance they don’t like, some use it to feel more confident and put-together, and others just love the creative twist it ads to their style. Many women also think makeup makes them look more competent, and survey data from the New York Times seems to support that idea. We shared the Times article with our fans on Facebook and responses ranged from the opinion that “less is more,” to the idea that it makes you “look more polished and more confident.”
We’re all about natural beauty here at Clarisonic, so we tend to like wearing only enough makeup to enhance the features that are already there. Makeup can be fun and help you stand out, but it’s also important to know and be comfortable in your own skin, and realize that you are a beautiful individual with or without it.
Last May, two middle school girls from Phoenix, Arizona named Gabby Klein and Michaela Good issued a challenge called “Only You,” encouraging girls to show off their natural appearance for a day and go without any make-up. They were frustrated by the unattainable beauty standards set by Hollywood, the media, and photoshop-loving women’s magazines, and decided to try and encourage girls everywhere to embrace their own skin. So far they’ve received national news coverage and support from women and girls all over the country. In North Carolina, a UNC-Charlotte educator named Rosie Molinary is also encouraging her students to try going a day without makeup. “Our skin is neither perfect nor bad,” she says, “and showing it in its natural form can be refreshing.”
We couldn’t agree more, and we love the idea that more women are going without makeup or aiming for a simple, natural look. It’s all about letting your inner—and outer—glow shine through. The more you take care of your skin and let it breathe, the better you’ll feel about showing it to the world.
What are your thoughts? Could you live without makeup?
Hey Sonic Fans! Are you ready for Spring? In our next #SonicChat we’ll be chatting about spring break travel and beauty trends with special co-host, @AgeistBeauty. Join on Tuesday (3/5/2013) at 11am, PDT (2pm EST). Don’t miss out on a great time!
How the #SonicChat works:
- We’ve already set up a tweet chat “room” that you can use to participate here: http://tweetchat.com/room/SonicChat
- Many people also like to use Hootsuite or Tweetdeck for tweet chats. If this is the case for you, you’ll just need to set up a column with the hashtag #SonicChat.
- Join in any time during the hour. The more the merrier!
- We will ask a series of questions, each beginning with “Q1,” “Q2,” and so on. If you’d like to answer a question, just tweet back with “A1,” “A2,” etc. to the corresponding question.
- Feel free to RT great comments from @Clarisonic or other participants in the chat, and interact as much or as little as you like. Just be sure to include the hashtag #SonicChat in all your tweets so everyone can keep track of the conversation!
- Most of all, #SonicChat is about learning, sharing, and having fun.
Sound like something you’d like to check out? Join us on Tuesday at 11am PDT. Let’s do this!
Dads are notoriously hard to shop for. Not necessarily because it’s hard to pin down their interests, but because they have a knack for responding to every request for a gift list with: “Oh I’m fine. I don’t need anything.” It’s a line that probably never fails to make you smile, but it sure doesn’t make gift giving any easier.
Since dad hardly ever buys himself anything (and he definitely doesn’t ask for it), think carefully about what he owns that could use refreshing or replacing. Find a way to shave a few minutes off his daily routine so he has more time for fun. Think about that thing he always used to do but hasn’t done in a while. Make it something he’ll use and enjoy, not just another tie.
Here are our suggestions for gifts your dad is sure to love. If you enjoyed our 7 Simple Mother’s Day Gift Ideas, you’ll definitely like these too.
- Kitchen tools—whether he’s an everyday chef or a master griller, he’s sure to appreciate a new set of pots and pans or quality knives. If he likes to experiment in the kitchen, go with something more fun and creative, like a pasta-maker or a cheese-making kit.
- A Graphite Gray Clarisonic Cleansing System –for cleaner skin and a cleaner shave. Our Graphite Gray Classic was developed with men in mind and comes with our Normal Brush Head, which has shorter bristles that work well on men’s tougher, oilier skin. It’s a great way to prep for shaving and will make sure he gets a closer and more comfortable shave. If you’re planning to get one for your dad for Father’s Day, order it before June 11th and we’ll send a complimentary Deep Pore Brush Head along with it!
- A day at the ballpark –spend an afternoon cheering his favorite team on with him in the stands. When’s the last time you had a ballpark hotdog anyway?
- Time outdoors —if your dad is the outdoorsy type, get outside and go on a hike with him. Or take a look at his camping gear and see if anything could use a replacement. That tent he bought ten years ago won’t last forever.
- Magazine subscriptions—there’s a magazine for every interest—whether it’s photography, fly fishing, or travel—so sign him up for one and help him take his hobbies to the next level.
What other useful gift ideas have you thought of? Do you or any men you know already use the Classic Cleansing System? Leave a comment to tell us about it!
Image by Roberto Ventre on Flickr
Vacation season is on the horizon and it’s time to think about getting swimsuit-ready.
Donning a bikini in front of others takes courage and confidence, but if you take good care of your body beforehand you’ll be beach-ready and worry free by the time you hit the sand. Just be sure to eat your full 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day, drink lots of water, and choose your beauty regimen with care.
Waxing: If you’re thinking of getting a bikini wax, do your research before deciding on a spa. Traditional waxing can be harmful to your skin and unsanitary if done incorrectly, so we tend to prefer sugaring (a natural, toxin-free process that only adheres to hair, so it won’t damage your skin).
Tanning: If you want to come to the beach with a glow, skip the tanning beds and try a self-tanner. You can check out our tips for getting the perfect sunless tan if you’re looking for options. And don’t forget to use and reapply sunscreen regularly once you’re out in the sun.
Cleansing: If you think you’re the only person out there with body acne, rest assured that you’re not. Everyone deals with it at some point, and getting rid of it is just a matter living a healthy lifestyle and cleansing regularly. The Clarisonic Body Brush Extension Handle makes it easy to deep-clean hard-to-reach spots like the middle of your back, your knees, and your feet.
Exercise: Try exercises that tone your body, like yoga or jogging. Just don’t stress out about it too much. Extreme dieting and last-minute sets of 100 sit-up repetitions won’t do anything for you but make you tired (and they might even cause more acne!).
Now, get out there and enjoy yourself. You deserve it!
*Photo by Kidoki licensed through Creative Commons
It will never happen to me. That’s what we all like to think—until one of our loved ones is diagnosed, or the doctor gives us a call.
Skin cancer affects a whopping one in five Americans, but the good news is that it’s highly preventable. A few simple lifestyle changes can mean a world of difference for your health, so take a few minutes to read these tips and pass them on to your loved ones. You just might save a life!
- Stick to the shade. The sun’s UV rays are strongest between 10am and 4pm, so be especially careful about sun exposure during those hours. This cute and clever Melanoma Bracelet will change color in the sun to let you know if you’re in harm’s way.
- Cover up. Call it an excuse to buy that cute new hat you saw while window shopping the other day, or an opportunity to try out a fun maxi dress. Either way, you’ll be stylish and safe.
- Lay it on thick. You can work that bikini at the beach, but don’t forget to wear your sunscreen, too! In fact, you should be wearing SPF 30 or higher every day – whether you’re sunbathing or just walking to the office. Try an all-natural sunscreen like Josie Maran’s Daily Sun Protention or even basic coconut oil, and reapply every few hours.
- Know your skin. Your skin is an organ just like your heart or your liver, and you need to take good care of it. Spend a few minutes every month scanning your own moles and freckles to see if any have changed in size, shape or color. Be proactive at the doctor’s office, too; schedule a full body screening with the dermatologist at least once a year.
- No tanning beds. Seriously. It’s not worth it. According to skincancer.org, just four visits to the tanning a bed a year can increase your risk of melanoma by 11%!
You are beautiful as you are. Tanned, freckled, smooth or wrinkled—your skin is unique, just like you, and it’s worth taking care of.
What other tips do you have for protecting your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays and preventing skin cancer?
*photo by Elisabeth R on Flickr
For nearly 20 years, Pantone, the global authority on color, has surveyed the designers of New York Fashion Week to bring you the season’s most important color trends. We’ve pulled the colors, some cute clothes and accessories, and our Mia and Mia 2 to help you get the most out of the season’s hottest colors.
Pantone named tangerine the it color of 2012. Tangerine is a very flattering color for most skin tones due to its high saturation and reddish undertones. When the warm weather hits, try wearing a bold dress, top or sandals in this shade. However, if you’re feeling a little color shy, start small by rocking a tangerine manicure or accessory. The newest edition to the Mia 2 family is named mango and matches Pantone’s color of the year to a tee. For those going on name recognition we also have a Limited Edition Mia named Tangerine. Both would be the perfect accessory to add some spring to your bathroom.
Each year the spring color list is not complete without a shade of pink. This season’s chosen hue is a pink with a hint of orange. The color blends femininity and touch of edginess that will be able to work with most wardrobes. Our new Mia 2 in Coral would be a perfect way to bring this spring color into your life.
Anyone who loves color probably has a pop of Kelly Green in their wardrobe. This fresh hue started gaining popularity after Emily Blunt wore it at the SAG Awards earlier this year. It is the perfect pop of color to transition to warmer weather and blooming color palettes. Bring it into your space with our Limited Edition Kelly Green Mia.
The spring 2012 color trends are said to be influenced by “renewed energy, optimism and the promise of a brighter day”. These colors as well as the feeling of Sonic Cleansing embody a mixture of sunny bright, lighthearted hues.