Let’s face it, we all have sugar cravings every once in a while – especially around the holidays, where delicious cookies and pies are teasing us on every corner!
If the promise of a slimmer waistline hasn’t curbed your sweet tooth, maybe the desire for smoother, younger looking skin will.
Recent findings suggest that a diet high in sugar can contribute to acne and accelerate skin aging. At blame is a natural process that’s known as glycation – a process through which sugar molecules enter your bloodstream and attach to proteins to form harmful new molecules known as advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs), which cause protein fibers such as collagen and elastin (fibers that keep skin firm and elastic) to become stiff and malformed.
The average American consumes nearly 89 grams of sugar per day. That’s more than four times the recommended amount for women (20 grams) and more than twice the recommended amount for men (36 grams). This tells us that there is certainly some room for improvement in our daily sugar intake levels.
While fruits contain varying amounts of sugar, they still offer numerous health benefits in terms of high vitamin and nutrient content – therefore making them a great option if you are craving something sweet.
What is concerning is that many of our other “go-to” foods may contain added sugars and we may not even know it. Food companies list sugar under aliases like dextrose, barley malt, corn syrup, fruit juice concentrate, maltose, maple syrup, molasses, fructose, and high-fructose corn syrup in an effort to hide the large amounts of sugars they contain. Therefore simply by cutting down on their consumption you can significantly reduce your sugar intake and be on the way to a healthier you!
An additional source of excess sugars is in what we are drinking – fruit juices, sodas and alcohol are also sugar-loaded culprits. Cutting down on these and occasionally substituting them for water is sure to help you get to your ideal weight and keep your skin looking smooth and youthful.
The good news about sugar-damaged skin: It’s never too late to turn back the clock. It may be tough to quit sugar cold turkey, so start by eliminating or reducing your intake of candy and chocolate. Be sure to continue to cut out additional sugary foods until you have reached your desired daily sugar intake.
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by INeedCoffee / CoffeeHero
We all have those rarely used beauty products we aren’t quite ready to throw out. What we may not take into consideration is that beauty products do go bad. At best, they stop performing as well as they used to and at worst, they can cause irritation or even infection.
The expiration clock starts as soon as you open each product – allowing for air and bacteria to come in contact with the formula, causing certain ingredients to oxidize and degrade. There are usually signs of when a beauty product has taken a turn for the worst— an unpleasant odor, change in color, texture or consistency, or a separation of components within a product.
You know your beauty products won’t last forever, so be sure to reference this guide when deciding whether a certain product is still safe to use:
- Body lotions, shower gel, and shampoo: These products generally last about two years, unless they contain specialized ingredients to fight dandruff, acne or other conditions.
- Sunscreens: The active ingredients in sunscreen lose their potency after two to three years. Check the package for an expiration date as some brands print it directly on the package.
- Clarisonic replacement brush heads: For best results, replace your brush head every 3 to 4 months to prevent bacteria buildup. Buy more and save with our brush head twin packs offer.
- Face creams and acne treatments: These products last up to a year as they contain antioxidants that are easily oxidized, so keep an eye out for any changes in color. Be sure to follow the expiration date if available.
- Perfumes: Fragrances usually last about 2 years – they can be adversely affected by light and heat, so if you’re looking to get more mileage out of your perfume, resist the temptation to display a pretty bottle on your vanity and instead keep it in a cool, dark place.
- Nail polish: Polish tends to only last about a year as it is particularly sensitive to heat and humidity. If you notice your nail polish turning clumpy or stringy, it’s time to toss it out.
- Deodorant: For deodorants, a general rule of thumb is that it expires about 1 to 2 years after opening, while antiperspirants will typically have an expiry date printed on the package.
- Foundation: Check the ingredients on your foundation: A water-based foundation will last up to 12 months, oil-based will last up to 18 months. Be sure to wash your make-up brushes at least once every three months to reduce a buildup of bacteria.
- Mascara and liquid eyeliner: These products last three to four months. Make sure you’re diligent about replacing these items to prevent contamination and infections.
- Eye and lip pencils: These can usually last 3 to 5 years. Sharpen them before each use in order to preserve them and keep them clean.
- Lipstick: Lipstick is good for 1 to 2 years. When expires it tends to gather bacteria in the form of beads of oil on the surface of the lipstick itself as well as have unpleasant taste and odor.
Let’s face it, we all have some beauty products that have been sitting around for a while. Whatever the reason may be, if you’re not sure if it’s good any longer just throw out the old and bring in the new.
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by Mubina H.
If you love fruit that’s both delicious and good for you – you’re in for a treat!
The pitaya, also known as the dragon fruit, is not only an amazing ingredient for general health, but also does wonders for your skin – which is why it is one of our favorite natural beauty secrets.
This fruit keeps popping up as key ingredient in numerous beauty products and nutritional supplements for its richness in fiber, antioxidants and natural oils.
Here are just a few of the ways the pitaya can benefit your skin and body:
- Fights aging – The pitaya is a rich source of antioxidants and helps to fight free radicals in the body. Decreasing the number of free radicals slows down the aging process, leaving you with younger-looking skin.
- Rich source of vitamins and minerals – Full of vitamin C and B as well as minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and iron, this fruit helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Great source of fiber – The pitaya is well known for its cleansing properties of the digestive system, and we all know that having a healthy digestive system can do wonders for your skin and overall health.
- Weight management – Because the pitaya is low in calories and rich source of fiber, it helps to give the sensation of being full without adding extra pounds.
- Healthy heart – Not only does this fruit help reduce bad cholesterol while improving good cholesterol levels, it is also full of mono-saturated fats, which ensure the cardiovascular system is in tip-top shape.
- Improves eyesight – Pitaya contains carotene which helps in maintaining and improving eyesight.
Tasty and full of health benefits, pitaya is generally cut in half and eaten raw (including the seeds) using a spoon. You can add a little tang by squeezing a few drops of lemon directly onto the fruit. It would make a great dessert addition or blended with other tropical fruits in a smoothie.
We’ll be providing continuing coverage of additional natural ingredients that can have a beneficial impact on your body in future blog posts, so keep an eye out and be sure to check out our previous posts on Natural Beauty Secrets: Coconut Oil, Avocado, and Kale.
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by Olivier H.
In order to make sure that our fans have all the necessary information on how to properly charge their Clarisonic, we compiled a list of customer questions along with their answers:
How do I know when the Clarisonic needs to be recharged?
Sonic Cleansing Brushes: When the charge is low, the brush handle will beep immediately following the brushing cycle to alert you to place it in the cradle for charging.
Opal: When the system battery needs to be charged, the LED flashes and the Infuser pulses progressively from 1 to 5 times after the run cycle, beginning when the unit has 5 minutes of charge remaining (1 pulse), and again at the end of each use until the battery requires additional charge for continued use (5 pulses).
How long does a full battery charge last? How long does it take to charge?
Sonic Cleansing Brushes: Allow 18 hours for a full charge. A full battery charge lasts for 20 minutes of use, which is approximately 20 days when used once daily.
Opal: Allow 24 hours for a full charge. A full battery charge lasts for 45 minutes of use, which is approximately 45 days when used once a day around each eye or 21 days when used twice a day.
Refer to the comparison chart for a detailed description of charging intervals.
How do I change the battery on my Clarisonic?
The battery cannot be changed on any of our units. The life span of the units ranges from at least 2 years to up to 5 or more. If your Clarisonic device is not holding charge, try plugging it into a different outlet to reset the unit. Be sure to contact customer service to check whether your device is still covered under warranty.
Can the chargers for various Clarisonic models be used interchangeably?
Will the Mia charger work with international power?
Yes, the pLink charger included with the Mia is compatible with 100-240 Volts AC; 50/60 Hz. This allows it to be used worldwide with the appropriate country adapter.
The guide tells you to charge for 24 hours before use. What happens if it becomes disconnected after only a few hours? Will it still hold a charge?
Yes, just recharge it until the lights are solid green.
Where can I purchase a replacement charger for my Clarisonic?
You can call our customer service at 888-525-2747 to help purchase a new charger for your Clarisonic device.
Where is the LED light and how can you tell if the Clarisonic is fully charged?
The LED light is located on the back of the handle in the center of the brush. It will be flashing continuously until it is charged at which point it will become a solid light.
My Clarisonic Mia feels very warm for the first 10-15 seconds. Is that normal?
Yes, the Clarisonic does heat up when on the charger. It will feel warm to the touch but should not be uncomfortable.
Should I keep my Clarisonic on the charging cradle after each use or only charge it when it loses its charge?
We recommend always keeping your Clarisonic device on the charger when it’s not in use.
I recently have had problems with my Clarisonic starting and stopping on its own.
Sounds like some of the Clarisonic technology is malfunctioning. As with most electrical gadgets, a technical failure can be possible. Therefore, we are standing by to get your issue resolved and your system back up and running. We offer warranties on the systems in the event that something might happen, take a look at our blog post on what to do When Your Clarisonic Stops Working.
We’ve been blown away by our fans’ support.
We love hearing how the Clarisonic Skin Cleansing System has improved your skin – after all, our goal is to make the world a more beautiful place, one face at a time!
- Patches of dry skin are minimized, or disappear
- Pores are thoroughly cleansed, making them appear smaller
- Refreshed and hydrated skin that’s more receptive to product penetration
- Reduced appearance of fine lines, blackheads, blemishes, dullness, and puffiness
- Improvement in the texture and appearance of skin tone
“I’m so thrilled with this product.. The Mia 2 with acne cleanser is absolutely amazing!! My face after 2 days!! YES! 2 days is looking much smoother, less oily and acne is smaller is size! My face isn’t irritated and I don’t feel like scratching all the time!! I’m SO pleased and happy that something is working after all the years of having to deal with my facial acne.” –Carlene Alix
We greatly appreciate the feedback our customers provide us, and wanted to share this great Before & After story from a Clarisonic user. As you can see in the images below, after only 7 days of using Clarisonic, Amanda Trudy Blyskal showed significant improvements in skin tone and texture.
Here are some more great Before & After shots:
Sonic cleansing is the natural way to thoroughly cleanse all skin types. And unlike skin treatments that use harsh chemicals or rely on friction to remove impurities, the sonic micro-massage motion is effective, yet gentle enough to use twice a day – even on sensitive skin. This effortless action removes six times more dirt and oil than cleansing with your hands alone.
Share your story on our Facebook Reviews Tab – who knows, maybe it will make it on to our next Before & After post!
Image by Lady Por Menos – Moroccanoil e Clarisonic and Amanda Trudy Blyskal
We’ve all heard that certain foods can help delay signs of aging, especially green leafy vegetables that are packed with antioxidants, nutrients, and vitamins.
Kale is not only an amazing ingredient for your general health, but also contributes to beautiful skin. It is an excellent source of calcium and Vitamins A, C, and K – all of which are essential for skin health.
Vitamins A and C help form collagen and keep your skin wrinkle free and firm, while Vitamin K works it’s magic to improve skin’s elasticity and get rid of those unwanted dark under-eye circles. Kale is also one of the richest sources of lutein and contains beta- carotene, which does wonders for skin elasticity and firmness. The antioxidants found in Kale help protect your skin from damage that free radicals can cause to our skin’s structure. So be sure to arm your body with these wrinkle-fighting, health-boosting machines.
Robust in flavor and full of health benefits, kale would make a great addition to practically any meal. This sturdy green is often steamed or sautéed and served as a side dish, but here are a few other ways to incorporate kale into your diet:
- Kale chips – You can easily make them yourself or find them at health food stores in a variety of flavors.
- Adding kale to your favorite recipes – Substituting kale in any recipes that are made with greens like spinach, collards, and chard and pair it with rice, noodles or potatoes.
- Raw kale salad – Raw kale can be used in place of lettuce in a salad of your choice, simply add your favorite veggies or fruits and toss with a dressing of your choice.
- Freshly Juiced – Kale juice may sound intimidating, but is delicious when paired with sweet fruits and vegetables like apples, oranges, and carrots.
- Simmered with soup – Try adding kale to any of your favorite soups. Because of its sturdy leaves, kale holds up better in soups than any other greens.
What is your favorite way to eat kale?
Photo by B*2
In keeping with a week focused on aesthetics and design, the new Clarisonic Aria Sonic Skin Cleansing Brush fits right in among the hustle and bustle of Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week.
In order to get “runway ready” at the Chadwick Bell Spring/Summer 2013 show last week, the models received mini Clarisonic facials and sonic eye treatments from celebrity aesthetician Eileen Harcourt. Between running from show-to-show and attending late night soirees, models often neglect their most important accessory: their skin!
Before getting in the hair or makeup chair, models first stopped at the Clarisonic table to receive a refreshing Aria mini facial. A few minutes of relaxation was much appreciated amidst the vibrant backstage buzz.
Models were thrilled to hear that the Aria cleanses skin 6X better than manual cleansing and that it is gentle enough to use twice a day. This sonic device removed any dirt and oil from the models’ skin allowing Lancôme skincare products to be absorbed more effectively.
Who wants to look tired on the catwalk? Thankfully, the Clarisonic Opal Sonic Infusion System came to the models’ rescue! Eileen used the device to gently knead serum into the skin around the models’ under-eye areas at 125 movements per second. This sonic infusion thoroughly hydrated the models’ skin and helped combat under-eye bags. The minute long treatment was the perfect pick-me-up for those strutting under the bright lights of the runway!
Fashion-Forward and Functional
Busy models, stylists, makeup artists, editors and bloggers barely have time to sleep, let alone charge their electronics during Fashion Week. The Clarisonic Aria’s functional USB charger was a life-saver for those spending the majority of the week backstage. Through simply plugging Aria into a laptop, the device’s charge can last for hours.
A Perfect Canvas
Lancôme makeup artist Daniel Martin loves his Clarisonic and was thrilled about the addition of Aria to the backstage lineup. A thorough Clarisonic cleansing by Eileen provided him with the perfect canvas for makeup application. Foundations and concealers went on smoothly and evenly. The Chadwick Bell look consisted of a natural, matte face with a strong emphasis on the eyes and cheeks. The look conveyed both strength and vulnerability.
The Chadwick Bell 2013 Spring/Summer Readywear Collection was inspired by the marriage of all things romantic and utilitarian with an emphasis on neutrals infused with small pops of green, yellow and violet color.
Because the Lancôme makeup look was minimalistic with a focus on cheek bones and eyes, glowing skin truly took center stage. Aria’s “form meets function” motto came to life at the Chadwick Bell Show as the models strutted down the runway glowing with sonic style!
Fall is in the air! Along with the crisp mornings and turning leaves, you may also have noticed your skin feeling a little dull and dry after a summer spent in the sun. Your skincare routine needs to change with the seasons, which means it’s time for an update!
Make a stylish transition from summer to fall with our new Limited Edition Mia 2 colors – Peacock, Bordeaux, and Emerald. These new colors represent everything we love about fall and will be sure to add a little spice to your beauty routine.
Make sure you are ready to take on the cooler weather by following these skincare tips for fall:
- Exfoliating – Exfoliating is the first step to beautiful fall skin. Regular exfoliation speeds up the cell turnover process, giving you a fresh and radiant glow, as well as a smoother and younger appearance.
- Moisturizing – As humidity levels drop, your skin craves moisture as it isn’t able to absorb as much from the air. Use a slightly thicker moisturizer than what you were using in the summer to account for the difference.
- Sun Protection – Even though your beach-bumming days may be over for now, you shouldn’t stop protecting your skin from the sun. Be sure to keep applying sunscreen whenever you will be outside.
- Lip Protection – During the fall and winter seasons, lips are subjected to cooler temperatures and harsher winds, which can lead to chapping and peeling. The best way to moisturize and protect the lips is to apply chapstick or lip balm at least once a day – preferably with some SPF.
- Hydrate – If your skin is not getting enough water, it tends to become dry, tight, and flaky. Maintain your skin’s moisture and elasticity by hydrating it from within – drinking plenty of water.
Well, there you have it – everything you need to know to update your skincare routine for fall! Now get out there and enjoy the blazing autumn colors.