Beauty starts from the inside out, and we all know carrots support eye health and apples keep the doctor away. But did you know that these common household ingredients can do as much for your skin when applied topically as many creams and scrubs?
1. Milk. The lactic acid in milk naturally exfoliates your skin while its fatty properties soothe and moisturize. Additionally, milk contains numerous vitamins and minerals that benefit your skin, including vitamins A and D. Deep cleanse your face with your favorite Clarisonic to prepare your skin to absorb the milk’s nutritive properties, then sweep cotton balls doused in whole milk around your orbital bone (the delicate area around your eyes). Rinse your face fully after and then apply your favorite eye cream using your Opal for maximum penetration.
Additional tips: Also consider adding 2 cups of whole milk to your bath to soften your entire body and using powdered milk with a bit of water (enough to make a paste) for a smoothing 5-minute face masque.
2. Oatmeal. You know oatmeal is good for your internal health, but did you know it could make you beautiful on the outside, too? Oatmeal softens and soothes, unveiling radiant skin no matter the weather. Oats contain polysaccharides which become gelatinous in water, forming a protective barrier between your skin and the elements. Not only does this barrier aide in dry skin prevention in winter, it also keeps natural moisture in and harmful toxins out. Furthermore, the fats in oatmeal help lubricate and moisturize your skin while saponins (natural cleansers that oats possess) gently purify your pores. Next time you’re cooking up porridge for breakfast, set some aside for your skincare regimen!
Additional tip: Use your Clarisonic body brush head to deep cleanse from head to toe then form a simple exfoliating scrub of warm water and oatmeal (simply add enough warm water to the oatmeal to form a thick paste). Rub the mixture in circular motions and rinse for baby soft skin.
3. Baking soda. Believe it or not, this odor-fighting substance is also a natural exfoliant. Many man-made exfoliants can be damaging to your skin, while this natural substance is coarse enough to remove the top layer of dead skin cells and fine enough to not irritate the new skin beneath. Additionally, it has the same cleansing benefits for your skin as it does for your teeth, without any harsh chemicals or additives. Once a week (depending on your skin’s sensitivity), add a bit of baking soda to your regular cleanser when using your Clarisonic to reveal glowing, fresh skin.
Additional tip: Make a paste of baking soda and a bit of water – a ratio of about 3 to 1 – to rub on the roughest patches of skin, such as the elbows and the feet, getting rid of stubborn calluses and dry patches.
4. Coconut oil. Coconut oil is a wonderful addition to your skin care regimen. Loaded with beneficial nutrients like vitamins K and E, this natural moisturizer will help your skin repair itself and actually help protect your skin from sun damage. Additionally, the powerful antioxidants in coconut oil (particularly in virgin coconut oil – meaning it hasn’t been treated) can minimize the effects of aging by preventing free radicals from breaking down the tissues of your skin. After cleansing your body, apply the coconut oil as you would any lotion or massage oil.
Additional tip: For an exfoliating and antioxidant rich facial and/or body scrub, combine brown sugar and virgin coconut oil at about a 3-to-1 ratio. Mix then slough away!
5. Honey. Packed with flavonoids (which protect cells), natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, honey is truly Mother Nature’s nectar. The antioxidants it contains help prevent aging while its humectant state (meaning it attracts and retains water) helps keep skin hydrated. Its anti-microbial properties help soothe irritated skin, including mild sunburns. Add a cup of honey to your bath water for a luxurious treat.
Tell us in the comments below what your favorite homemade skincare remedies are!
Additional tip: A recent study found that a mixture of honey, olive oil and beeswax actually help relieve symptoms associated with eczema and psoriasis when applied topically.
Photo by go elsewhere…
Pregnancy can wreak havoc on your hormones and your skin. The Clarisonic’s patented Sonic Technology removes 6x more makeup than manual cleansing alone by gently gliding over the skin. The sonic micro-message loosens and removes dirt and oil from pores, clarifying skin without harsh chemicals therefore, improving skin texture. The Sonic technology removes pollutants, oil and bacteria that accumulate on the skin giving a sonic boost to your skin care products and reducing the need for harsh chemicals. Dr. Robb lends his expertise as he answers the question, are the Clarisonic and Opal safe to use during pregnancy and on my bump?
Dr. Robb says that both the Clarisonic and Opal are safe to use on your face for daily cleansing during pregnancy. It is not recommended that you use the Clarisonic on your growing baby bump because it’s a very delicate area, something that is very precious. You could consult you OBGYN but we hope your baby is going to know the feeling when they get older and start using their own Clarisonic.
Dr. Robb also recently told us about what age your child can start using the Clarisonic.
It’s that time of year when everyone reflects on the past 12-months and tries to think of one thing they will resolve to complete in the upcoming year. We’ve compiled some beauty resolutions that if kept, will keep you feeling and looking wonderful well into the New Year.
Get more sleep: Fully restful sleep ranging from 6-8 hours will not only have you feeling refreshed, it will invigorate your entire body. Sleep gives your body time to heal and the supercharge you need to get through a busy day. They don’t call it beauty sleep for nothing.
Drink more water: The benefits of drinking water are enormous. Water flushes out your system removing impurities from your body and skin. If drinking 8 glasses of water sounds horribly boring, add lime, lemon or orange slices to spice it up. A sprig of mint or slice of cucumber also makes for a refreshing drink. Cheers!
Commit to a skin care routine: Start the year off strong with a dedicated routine for your skin. Look into products formulated for your skin type and determine any specific needs your skin may need whether it’s acne or more hydration. Once you determine what your skin needs, stick to your routine daily. Don’t forget your SPF!
Laugh more: Laughing and smiling will help you not only look better but you will feel better too. Laughter lightens a room and makes everyone around you happier.
What is your feel-good resolution for 2012?
The eye is the jewel of the body – Henry David Thoreau. The quest for younger and more refreshed looking eyes is not a new one. Tips and tricks have been passed down for generations and new technologies have been created to answer the need.
One such technology and the jewel to the Clarisonic family, is the Opal. The Opal Sonic Infusion System uses proven sonic technology to apply eye serum better than manual application. In just one minute, the Opal provides more than 7500 gentle micro-massages to instantly hydrate, smooth and brighten the eyes.
We asked our fans to share their secrets to keeping their eyes hydrated whether they used the Opal or not. We got some amazing stories; we are sharing three with you here and have ten that have won our Opal Secret contest. Congratulations to all of our winners!
Featured Opal Secret stories:
“Redneck” Sonic Regimen
Well, I don’t own a Clarisonic Opal so here’s what I do instead…and don’t laugh… I use the back side of my Sonic toothbrush to help apply my night serum, (different brush head of course). I realize that this is no comparison to the Clarisonic Opal but I’m using what I’ve got because I know how beneficial it is. So until I get the real thing, this is what I do.
Men’s eye remedy
I am a guy who takes pride in his appearance. Recently I have been noticing my eyes have look tired and puffy (probably the increased stress of trying to run my live like a crazy person through work and school, trying to do the work of five people all by myself, deffinately not recommended..) I started to look for a solution. Your eyes can easily be the first thing someone will notice about you and they are usually first to show any signs of aging!… So I set out for a way to cure. To tackle the puffiness I began using a de puffing eye gel. I started with the Body Shop’s Eye Depuffer. It worked wonders I would notice my eyes significantly decreasing in puffiness. Much of it was extra water under the eye lids so at times I looked and still looks like I am crying, not to say my eyes get red and I make an ugly face, anyway I think you get the picture. My next step was to find a eye cream to help keep my eyes bright and awake and get rid of that oh so chic I just got punched in the eye look. I ended choosing Clique’s all about the eye, it was very feminine but the sales associate at Sephora helped me realize that the skin around a woman’s eye and around a mens eye really aren’t all that different. After that? poof those dark circles were minimized. My eyes were back in business and I am glad I took that step… lets be honest who wants to look punched and puffy?
The BEST under eye trick
When I was in college I worked at a makeup counter at the mall. One of my co-workers was an amazing makeup artist that had just moved from NYC so I was so excited to learn his tips and tricks. The one thing that he told me that I remember to this day and always share with people is……when applying under eye cream ALWAYS apply it and blend it from the outside of your eye inwards towards your nose. Why you ask? Well….the fine lines and crows feet that form tend to start out closer to the inner corners of your eye and expand outwards so everytime you put on under eye cream you want to be lightly tapping and blending the cream in the opposite direction they form to make sure the product really gets in there. If you put on under eye cream twice a day that is a lot of pulling and dabbing on the under eye area over time so it’s better to be smoothing it on in the opposite direction that they form. I swear this works! I used to have one line in particular that was fairly deep and I would notice it when I would get tan because it would be white from squinting while I was out in the sun. Since I started applying under eye cream from the outside of my eye towards the inside my lines have completely and very noticeably smoothed out! For some reason I had always put under eye cream on from the inside out which I know a lot us you do becuase it seems more natural to apply it this way but it’s the complete opposite of what you want to do. I love sharing this trick with people and I swear you will notice a difference if you try it!
Milliesnow: “Redneck” Sonic Regimen
Nikki: Smile You’re Beautiful
JenJen: Three Simple Tips to Youthful Eyes
Garrett: Men’s Eye Remedy
Shella: The Best Under Eye Trick
Butterfly: Happier Eyes
LauraLizzie: I Love My Opal!
Bauysrabbit: ‘Exercise-like’ Movement Fight Against Gravity
Rocky Mtn Gal: My Eyes Don’t Lie – But Maybe FIB Just a Bit!!!
All ten Opal Secret winners will receive the White Opal, Black Opal and a year supply of our Anti-Aging Sea Serum! To read more of the winning stories, visit our stories page on our website. The contest may be over, but we would love to hear your secrets to younger more refreshed eyes!
Restalyne is an injectible filler used to achieve a more youthful look without plastic surgery. In this video, Dr. Robb tells us whether the Opal is safe to use in conjunction with eye fillers.
Dr. Robb recommends you talk to your skin care professional after they’ve given you the fillers. From our experience it is perfectly safe to use after you healed up from the injections the following day. He says that if you’re worried about the Clarisonic moving the fill around your face, that isn’t going to happen.
The first sign of aging that most people notice are eye wrinkles. These wrinkles, as well as the dark circles and bags that accompany them, may begin to appear when a person is still in their twenties and can become more noticeable with the passage of time. The Opal does wonders for the eye, but will it work on the rest of your face? See what Dr. Robb has to say in the video below!
Yes, anywhere where you have crepey dry skin, it is also perfectly fine to use it between the eyes and around the mouth. People love the way it feels and how their skin looks after using Opal Sonic Infusion.
Anti-Aging products are not just for our mothers anymore. Most women in their 20s have started to add anti-aging products to their skincare routines as a preventative method. Check out our dos and don’ts for an anti-aging skincare routine.
Those who smoke will likely develop wrinkles prematurely around their eyes and mouth. Smoking is known to degrade the elastic fibers of the dermis which affects your skin’s firmness as well.
Don’t yoyo diet.
When your body weight increases or decreases, it can loosen the elasticity of your skin. Also, be aware that a thin face can be associated with being unhealthy whereas a full face might actually look younger.
Don’t stretch your skin.
Pulling or stretching your skin can result in sagging decreasing the firmness in your face. Be gentle when it comes to touching your face and especially your eye area.
Don’t ignore your neck and chest.
The signs of aging can also appear on your neck and chest. Be sure to adequately moisturize these areas as well.
Do cleanse regularly.
A regular cleansing routine is essential to keeping your skin in the best condition possible. The Clarisonic is a great addition to your skincare routine because it removes 6x more makeup and dirt than manual cleansing.
Do get your vitamins and antioxidants.
What you eat can affect your skin. Be sure to get enough vitamins and eat plenty of antioxidant-rich foods.
Do use an eye cream.
The skin around the eye area is thinner and therefore, needs extra care. Use an anti-aging eye cream or check out the Opal Sonic Infusion System that helps eliminate the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
Do wear sunscreen.
The sun can leave you with damaged skin from UV rays. Even when it is overcast, use a moisturizer with an SPF.
Do drink lots of water.
Drinking plenty of water is essential for keeping yourself hydrated. Eight glasses of water a day is recommended.
Do you have any tips to add for the perfect Anti-Aging Skincare Routine?
Now that you’ve seen the benefits of our sonic cleansing systems — softer, smoother skin — you’ll want to experience the beauty of sonic technology for dramatically refreshed, rejuvenated eyes. The Clarisonic Opal Sonic Infusion System uses proven sonic technology to apply eye serum better than manual application. In just one minute Opal provides more than 7500 gentle micro-massages to instantly hydrate, smooth and brighten the eyes.
We invite you to experience the Opal in action. Find an Opal retail location near you.
Sonic Infusion benefits include:
- Breakthrough sonic delivery system for eye serum that’s superior to manual application
- Opal’s sonic micro-massage immediately hydrates, leaving skin feeling refreshed and energized
- After two weeks eyes appear brighter and skin is firmer with a noticeable improvement in elasticity
- After eight weeks eyes look younger and smoother. Fine lines, under-eye puffiness and dark circles are visibly reduced.
- Benefits improve with continued use
- Opal seamlessly integrates into your eye care ritual. Layer with your favorite eye product after infusion if desired.
About the Anti-Aging Sea Serum:
Robb Akridge, PhD, optimized the Anti-Aging Sea Serum for the dynamics of sonic infusion. Using his immunology expertise to promote skin health, he employed a multi-layered approach using marine extracts and botanicals to hydrate, firm, tighten and protect. Our serum is gentle enough for daily use and is paraben free.
You can now recycle your empty Opal Dispenser caps. Learn more.
Already using the Clarisonic Opal? Want to share the love? Submit a review today.