When your body is properly hydrated, you look and feel your best. But will drinking water really improve the appearance of your skin and give you that glow you’ve always wanted?
Consuming the right amount of water maintains a healthy level of moisture within the skin cells. If your skin is not getting a sufficient amount of water, it tends to become dry, tight, flaky, and wrinkly. With adequate hydration, you’ll have healthier and younger looking skin.
How do you determine how much water you should drink daily? While the recommended amount varies depending on many factors including your physical activity, current health condition, and even the weather, the Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate daily water intake for men is roughly about 13 cups and for women about 9 cups.
Here are just a few of the ways drinking water can benefit your body:
• Increased energy
• Reduced risk of disease and infection
• A radiant complexion
• Flush out toxins
• Improve circulation and blood flow
• Moisturize and protect the joints
• Enhance health
• Regulate body temperature
• Carry nutrients to every cell of your body
• Burn more fat and gain more muscle
Keep in mind that drinking water alone won’t get you to flawless skin and that drinking an excessive amount can lead to serious health complications. Experts say that a combination of a balanced diet, sunscreen, cleansing, and plenty of exercise are also vital to improving your skin’s appearance. It’s never too late to start the healthy habit of drinking water!
Coconut oil is not only an amazing ingredient for general health, but also does wonders for your hair and skin.
They say beauty is only skin deep, but the way our skin appears is often a direct result of the lifestyles we lead and the foods we consume. Our bodies love whole, natural products that are easy to digest and absorb, and contain the nutrients we rely on for energy and growth. That’s why one of our favorite natural beauty secrets is coconut oil.
Coconut oil is made up of medium-chain fatty acids that are easy for the body to dissolve and turn into energy or use to strengthen and repair connective tissue. It also has powerful antioxidant effects that stimulate thyroid function, boost your metabolism, and help heal damaged hair and skin. Some coconut oil studies even report a decreased risk of cancer and heart disease.
Here are just a few of the ways you can incorporate coconut oil into your diet and your skincare routine:
- Use it to improve your skin. By protecting against free-radicals that cause wrinkles and aging, coconut oil can keep your skin looking young and smooth. It also has strong hydrating effects that help you lock in moisture—great for those moments before you dry off after a shower.
- It works as a deep conditioner for your hair, repairing damaged hair follicles and adding shine to your locks. Just pour a small amount into your hands and massage it into your scalp and the ends of your hair for a few minutes, then rinse it out. You’ll notice a new shine right away.
- Mix it with brown sugar to create a body scrub and exfoliate. Slough away dead skin cells and make your skin smell amazing while you’re at it.
- To help prevent sunburn—or provide relief if you already have one.
- Add a teaspoon or two to your meals. We love it mixed into smoothies or drizzled over a salad.
Health and wellness is all about giving your body the care and nutrition it needs, and whole, natural ingredients are key. Take a look at our post on the Best 5 Skin Care Ingredients From Your Kitchen and stay tuned for more Natural Beauty Secrets to come!
Have you tried using coconut oil as a beauty product before?