A daily skin regimen is vital as your skin ages. It’s a general fact that cared for skin looks younger – there’s no doubt about it. We’ve broken down the general points to a good anti-aging routine. Don’t worry if you’ve let your skin care regimen lapse. Take our tips and you should start seeing results in no time.
The start of any skin care routine is cleansing. This may seem like a simple step, but finding a cleanser that works for your skin type is very important. Once you find a cleanser that is perfect for your skin, stick to it. Be sure to cleanse your skin daily, washing off makeup and daytime build up nightly before bed. A clear clean face is the first step to healthy beautiful skin.
The key to younger looking skin is to remove old skin cells. Your skin sheds it’s dead cells all the time and they lie on the surface blocking moisture from being absorbed into the skin. A great way to alleviate these unwanted skin cells is to exfoliate. Removing these cells daily will lead to easier and deeper absorption of your other skin care products. Sloughing off dead skin cells daily will lead to glowing and silky smooth skin.
To round out your anti-aging skin care ritual, the last step is moisturizing. Providing your skin nutrient-rich vitamins to your skin will help promote new healthy skin to grow while protecting and nurturing the skin you have. Moisturizing in the morning promotes all-day hydration and gives your skin a great base for your makeup. Moisturizing prior to bed-time enables your skin to restore itself properly during the nighttime hours.
Once you’ve finished moisturizing-you’re done! Getting down your skincare routine is the tough part. Once you start pampering your skin regularly you will see the results of younger looking skin. Happy Sonic Cleansing!
What are you doing to turn back the clock?
Beauty starts from the inside out, and we all know carrots support eye health and apples keep the doctor away. But did you know that these common household ingredients can do as much for your skin when applied topically as many creams and scrubs?
1. Milk. The lactic acid in milk naturally exfoliates your skin while its fatty properties soothe and moisturize. Additionally, milk contains numerous vitamins and minerals that benefit your skin, including vitamins A and D. Deep cleanse your face with your favorite Clarisonic to prepare your skin to absorb the milk’s nutritive properties, then sweep cotton balls doused in whole milk around your orbital bone (the delicate area around your eyes). Rinse your face fully after and then apply your favorite eye cream using your Opal for maximum penetration.
Additional tips: Also consider adding 2 cups of whole milk to your bath to soften your entire body and using powdered milk with a bit of water (enough to make a paste) for a smoothing 5-minute face masque.
2. Oatmeal. You know oatmeal is good for your internal health, but did you know it could make you beautiful on the outside, too? Oatmeal softens and soothes, unveiling radiant skin no matter the weather. Oats contain polysaccharides which become gelatinous in water, forming a protective barrier between your skin and the elements. Not only does this barrier aide in dry skin prevention in winter, it also keeps natural moisture in and harmful toxins out. Furthermore, the fats in oatmeal help lubricate and moisturize your skin while saponins (natural cleansers that oats possess) gently purify your pores. Next time you’re cooking up porridge for breakfast, set some aside for your skincare regimen!
Additional tip: Use your Clarisonic body brush head to deep cleanse from head to toe then form a simple exfoliating scrub of warm water and oatmeal (simply add enough warm water to the oatmeal to form a thick paste). Rub the mixture in circular motions and rinse for baby soft skin.
3. Baking soda. Believe it or not, this odor-fighting substance is also a natural exfoliant. Many man-made exfoliants can be damaging to your skin, while this natural substance is coarse enough to remove the top layer of dead skin cells and fine enough to not irritate the new skin beneath. Additionally, it has the same cleansing benefits for your skin as it does for your teeth, without any harsh chemicals or additives. Once a week (depending on your skin’s sensitivity), add a bit of baking soda to your regular cleanser when using your Clarisonic to reveal glowing, fresh skin.
Additional tip: Make a paste of baking soda and a bit of water – a ratio of about 3 to 1 – to rub on the roughest patches of skin, such as the elbows and the feet, getting rid of stubborn calluses and dry patches.
4. Coconut oil. Coconut oil is a wonderful addition to your skin care regimen. Loaded with beneficial nutrients like vitamins K and E, this natural moisturizer will help your skin repair itself and actually help protect your skin from sun damage. Additionally, the powerful antioxidants in coconut oil (particularly in virgin coconut oil – meaning it hasn’t been treated) can minimize the effects of aging by preventing free radicals from breaking down the tissues of your skin. After cleansing your body, apply the coconut oil as you would any lotion or massage oil.
Additional tip: For an exfoliating and antioxidant rich facial and/or body scrub, combine brown sugar and virgin coconut oil at about a 3-to-1 ratio. Mix then slough away!
5. Honey. Packed with flavonoids (which protect cells), natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, honey is truly Mother Nature’s nectar. The antioxidants it contains help prevent aging while its humectant state (meaning it attracts and retains water) helps keep skin hydrated. Its anti-microbial properties help soothe irritated skin, including mild sunburns. Add a cup of honey to your bath water for a luxurious treat.
Tell us in the comments below what your favorite homemade skincare remedies are!
Additional tip: A recent study found that a mixture of honey, olive oil and beeswax actually help relieve symptoms associated with eczema and psoriasis when applied topically.
Photo by go elsewhere…
Super models such as Miranda Kerr and Molly Sims have been onto this trend for a while. The secret is now out as to how they get their smooth fresh looking skin. Dry brushing is a very simple and effective way to stimulate your skin and increase blood flow. Soft bristled brushes are perfect for dry brushing (like the Body Brush on our PLUS system).
To start your skin transformation, begin brushing gently in a circular motion while your skin is dry. Brushing on dry skin will allow for more skin to slough off. After working from your feet up; take a shower to remove any dead skin and finish with a good moisturizer for extremely smooth skin! Dry brushing has been known to help your skin look younger, giving you a fresh glow your serums and creams work better too. Have you ever tried dry brushing? If so, what do you think? If you haven’t, give it a try and tell us what you think!