Spring is quickly approaching: soon Uggs and sweaters will make way for flip flops and sundresses. Though the temptation may be powerful to jump in a tanning bed for some color before baring your limbs, be strong! As skin enthusiasts, we can’t overstate the harmful effects of tanning beds enough, in addition to the long-term benefits of shielding your skin from the damage sun exposure causes. Here are some healthy tips to create that beautiful tan you’re longing for with the help of a few key products:
Sunless tanner. Sunless tanners and bronzers have come a long way from the days of orange, streaky nightmares. Today, proper exfoliation and quality products will give you a glow that’s unidentifiable from the real thing. Use your Clarisonic with your favorite body exfoliant in the shower (we love Kiehl’s Crème de Corps Soy Milk and Hony Body Polish which exfoliates while moisturizing), dry off then apply an even coat of moisturizer over your whole body. Let it soak in for a few minutes (too much wetness could potentially create streaks in your tan).
Make sure you find the right self-tanner for you by doing your research (we like St. Tropez and Clarins’ self-tanners) and going through a “test run” – choose an unnoticeable location to dab a bit of the tanner to see how it reacts with your skin before covering your body with it. Once you’ve found the right tanner, apply it carefully, wearing latex gloves to avoid dyed palms. You might prefer using tinted foam or lotion rather than a neutral tone, since you will easily be able to see your application. Spread the self-tanner evenly in straight motions (circular motions can cause streaking) and be particularly careful of areas with dryer skin or crevices, like elbows and feet. Keep in mind that you should do a lighter coat when first trying a self-tanner – if it’s too light, you can always add more later.
Make sure you don’t have plans or visitors right after applying your self-tanner, because you’re going to need to hang out au naturale for about half an hour (follow your sunless tanner’s instructions) to ensure you get a smooth, even application. And if you do happen to get a few spots which look a bit streaky or orange, no fear! Add a bit of lemon juice to your Clarisonic brush head and cleanse the area to help even it out.
What are your favorite sunless tanners and bronzers?
Skin endures a lot during the summer months – sunshine, pool water and dry air –it can be tough to keep it looking healthy. We’ve compiled a list of tips and tricks to help you stay cool, feel cool and look cool in the summer heat.
- Sunscreen is ESSENTIAL on exposed and unexposed skin
- It’s also important to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water; this is especially important if you are physically active
- While you’re protecting yourself don’t forget to protect your lips with SPF lip balm
- Kiehl’s Lip Balm SPF 15 helps protect against sunburn and relieves chapped lips
- Wear lightweight and light colored clothing to protect your skin and stay cool in the heat
- Wear a hat with a large brim to shade your neck and face
- Finish off your look with a bright lipstick
- Check out Summer Skin Tips from Daniel Sandler for a complete summer skin look featuring bright lipstick colors and the Clarisonic
- A shade from MAC Cosmetics To the Beach line is perfect for summer
- Use a bold summer nail polish color
- Popular colors for summer include: bright pink, baby blue, light green, taupe and traditional pale pink.
- Try one of the fabulous shades from the OPI Summer Flutter collection.
- Simplify your makeup routine and stick to the basics
How do you beat the summer heat? We’d love to hear your tips and tricks – leave a comment!