If you love fruit that’s both delicious and good for you – you’re in for a treat!
The pitaya, also known as the dragon fruit, is not only an amazing ingredient for general health, but also does wonders for your skin – which is why it is one of our favorite natural beauty secrets.
This fruit keeps popping up as key ingredient in numerous beauty products and nutritional supplements for its richness in fiber, antioxidants and natural oils.
Here are just a few of the ways the pitaya can benefit your skin and body:
- Fights aging – The pitaya is a rich source of antioxidants and helps to fight free radicals in the body. Decreasing the number of free radicals slows down the aging process, leaving you with younger-looking skin.
- Rich source of vitamins and minerals – Full of vitamin C and B as well as minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and iron, this fruit helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Great source of fiber – The pitaya is well known for its cleansing properties of the digestive system, and we all know that having a healthy digestive system can do wonders for your skin and overall health.
- Weight management – Because the pitaya is low in calories and rich source of fiber, it helps to give the sensation of being full without adding extra pounds.
- Healthy heart – Not only does this fruit help reduce bad cholesterol while improving good cholesterol levels, it is also full of mono-saturated fats, which ensure the cardiovascular system is in tip-top shape.
- Improves eyesight – Pitaya contains carotene which helps in maintaining and improving eyesight.
Tasty and full of health benefits, pitaya is generally cut in half and eaten raw (including the seeds) using a spoon. You can add a little tang by squeezing a few drops of lemon directly onto the fruit. It would make a great dessert addition or blended with other tropical fruits in a smoothie.
We’ll be providing continuing coverage of additional natural ingredients that can have a beneficial impact on your body in future blog posts, so keep an eye out and be sure to check out our previous posts on Natural Beauty Secrets: Coconut Oil, Avocado, and Kale.
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by Olivier H.
We’ve all heard that certain foods can help delay signs of aging, especially green leafy vegetables that are packed with antioxidants, nutrients, and vitamins.
Kale is not only an amazing ingredient for your general health, but also contributes to beautiful skin. It is an excellent source of calcium and Vitamins A, C, and K – all of which are essential for skin health.
Vitamins A and C help form collagen and keep your skin wrinkle free and firm, while Vitamin K works it’s magic to improve skin’s elasticity and get rid of those unwanted dark under-eye circles. Kale is also one of the richest sources of lutein and contains beta- carotene, which does wonders for skin elasticity and firmness. The antioxidants found in Kale help protect your skin from damage that free radicals can cause to our skin’s structure. So be sure to arm your body with these wrinkle-fighting, health-boosting machines.
Robust in flavor and full of health benefits, kale would make a great addition to practically any meal. This sturdy green is often steamed or sautéed and served as a side dish, but here are a few other ways to incorporate kale into your diet:
- Kale chips – You can easily make them yourself or find them at health food stores in a variety of flavors.
- Adding kale to your favorite recipes – Substituting kale in any recipes that are made with greens like spinach, collards, and chard and pair it with rice, noodles or potatoes.
- Raw kale salad – Raw kale can be used in place of lettuce in a salad of your choice, simply add your favorite veggies or fruits and toss with a dressing of your choice.
- Freshly Juiced – Kale juice may sound intimidating, but is delicious when paired with sweet fruits and vegetables like apples, oranges, and carrots.
- Simmered with soup – Try adding kale to any of your favorite soups. Because of its sturdy leaves, kale holds up better in soups than any other greens.
What is your favorite way to eat kale?
Photo by B*2
We have teamed up with Bon Appétit for their June issue! At Clarisonic, we feel empowered by taking our skincare into our own hands with Sonic Cleansing, but we also practice this motto when it comes to eating healthy.
We have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. What you eat can affect your skin’s glow and it’s important to start your day off right. Therefore, we are asking Bon Appétit readers and our fans what they do in their morning ritual to keep their skin healthy from the inside out.
Here are our favorite super foods that we eat to keep healthy in addition to using our Clarisonic Sonic Cleansing System every morning:
With more protein than regular yogurt, Greek yogurt will surely start your day off right with plenty of vitamin A to keep your skin glowing.
Fruits such as blueberries, pomegranates, and strawberries are packed with antioxidants to fight off free radicals and keep your skin glowing.
Whole Grain Toast with Almond Butter
Whole grains are great for the skin! Skip the butter or sweetened jam and opt for protein and fiber-rich Almond Butter.
With plenty of value-added mixes like flax seed, pumpkin seeds and wheat germ, granola is a great way to get a daily dose of super foods.
We’ve all heard of the recent juice detox and there’s a reason for it. Fresh juice provides you with the essential vitamins found in fruit without having to break down the actual fruit.
Most importantly, don’t forget Water. Keep yourself hydrated for optimal mind, body and skin. Drinking water from the moment you wake up can jump start your system for the day!
Now tell us what you eat to stay healthy and your morning skincare routine for a chance to win a Clarisonic and dinner for two by visiting the contest page!