You might have noticed the increasing number of options for Greek yogurt in grocery store; and there’s a reason for it: People are discovering the added benefits of this particular style of yogurt. Greek yogurt is similar to regular yogurt in that they are both high in calcium and are made by fermenting milk with live bacteria cultures. However, Greek yogurt is strained to remove liquid whey which also results in removing the lactose. The result is a thicker, more protein-rich yogurt with less sugar.
Making the switch from regular, fruit-flavored yogurt to a plain Greek yogurt might be a little difficult. The yogurt can have a little more tang and to get yourself accustomed to it, you may need to mix it with fruit, honey or nuts. This style of yogurt is also great paired with a curry or lamb dish as a tzatziki dip and with its thicker consistency, could be a great base for a dessert.
With more protein, less sugar and more versatility, switching to Greek yogurt could be a healthy move this year.
Almost fifty percent of people who work desk jobs claim that they have gained weight at their current jobs. If you’re stuck at your desk for a good part of the day chances are it’s starting to take a toll on your waist and your productivity.
Women’s Health brings us eight sneaky ways to burn calories while on the job. With a few easy adjustments you can be on your way to feeling better and doing better while at work.
- Stand Up – ask your office manager if they can invest in an adjustable-height work station so you can stand and work for a portion of your day. This can help you burn calories and improved your overall posture.
- Headset = hands free – if you spend a lot of time on the phone invest in a headset and walk around while you take your calls. A pedometer is an easy way to track the steps as you move.
- Snack Time – this isn’t just for pre-school anymore. Schedule snack times into your calendar so you avoid mindless eating. Step away from your work when you snack and take an extra moment to enjoy your food and be aware of what you are eating.
- Stash away emergency provisions – if you have crackers, cookies and cakes at your work stations for emergency situations make sure they are hidden out of eye sight. If you have to have food on your desk keep fruit and health snacks in your line of vision.
- Green means go – Green tea is full of antioxidants that help to stimulate the body to burn more calories and decrease fat. If you can, skip the coffee in the morning and opt for green tea.
- Out of sight, out of mind – Candies stored in transparent dishes are more likely to be eaten then those in opaque dishes. If candy is a must switch to hard candies, they are lower in calories and they last longer.
- So fresh and so clean – Keep an air freshener at your desk. Those with a sweet scent like peppermint, vanilla or banana can help curb cravings and appetite.
- Set the stakes – make weight-loss/healthy living a competition in your office. Split into teams and require a cash fee to enter. The winner walks away with the cash prize.
Get the most out of your eight hour days. Try a few of these quick tips and you’re waistline will thank you for it! Do you have other work-day weight loss tips? Share with us!