Looking for the secret to healthier hair and glowing skin? Look no further, we’ve found a superfood that is sure to satisfy your appetite and keep you looking great.
Besides being rich in protein and vitamin D, the Omega-3 fatty acids found in this tasty cold-water fish are the key to long, healthy “lox” and a glowing complexion.
Here are just a few benefits of eating salmon:
- Younger looking skin – Salmon is one of the best sources of Omega-3 fatty acids, which keep your skin supple, moisturized, and blemish free. They lock moisture into skin cells, encouraging the production of strong collagen and elastin fibers, which contribute to more youthful looking skin.
- Sun protection – The combination of salmon’s essential fatty acids and selenium will protect your skin from UV damage and premature aging. Therefore, consider treating yourself to this tasty fish if you’re thinking of heading out into the sun.
- Healthy hair – Loaded with protein and fish oil, salmon provides nourishment to hair follicles, promoting healthy and lustrous hair. The combination of high selenium content and vitamins B5 and B12 encourages hair growth and ensures that your hair shines.
- Weight loss – The Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D and selenium, together help to increase the body’s metabolism by facilitating the absorption of sugar and therefore lowering the blood sugar levels. Delicious and slimming – yes please!
- Bone strength – The vitamin D in salmon keeps your bones and teeth strong and healthy.
- Cardiovascular health – While the Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce cholesterol and strengthen cardiac muscles, the essential amino acids repair damage to cardiovascular tissues. Together, they help control high blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels, overall considerably reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Muscle and tissue development – Proteins, amino acids, and selenium are essential components of muscle and tissue building, making salmon the perfect addition to your diet if you’re looking to tone and strengthen your body.
- Improved Eye Health – The Omega 3 fatty acids and amino acids found in salmon help improve eye health and prevent macular degeneration, dryness, and fatigue of the eyes. Pair these results with our Opal and Anti-Aging Sea Serum to get the noticeably firmer skin around your eyes to really show them off.
Salmon’s health benefits are too great to ignore, so if you want gorgeous skin, lustrous hair, and a slimmer figure, consider incorporating salmon into your diet. Try it baked, broiled, grilled, or sashimi style to get on your way to a healthier you.
The holiday season is right around the corner, which means it’s time to start selecting the perfect gifts for all your special someones. To help make the holiday gifting a bit less stressful this year, we’re offering a number of our favorite Holiday Limited Edition Gift Sets, sure to put a smile on the faces of everyone on your list!
With so many choices, it may be hard to pick the right gift set for you and your loved ones, but don’t worry, we’ve put together a guide for choosing the perfect Gift Set:
Holiday PLUS Set – If you are looking to achieve an all-over clean, this collection is for you. The Clarisonic PLUS has three speeds gentle enough for cleansing the face, yet effective for the rest of the body – leaving you with more absorbent skin. The Holiday PLUS set is filled with deluxe essentials including our popular PLUS system with Body Brush Head and Refining Skin Polish.
Holiday Mia Set – Our smallest Sonic Skin Cleansing System, the one-button, one-speed Clarisonic Mia would make an excellent starter kit for someone with an active lifestyle – offering beautiful skin at home or on-the-go.
Most Beautiful Mom – Make mom happy this holiday season with this anti-aging Opal Sonic Infusion System gift set – the palm-sized device and Anti-Aging formula are specifically designed to help build skin’s resilience over time and prevent future damage around the eyes – with an immediate reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Modern Sophistication – The new Clarisonic Aria infuses sonic cleansing with a perfect blend of function and form. Sleek, modern, intuitive, this brush would be a great fit with virtually any personality. With three speeds, a T-timer and a compact charging system – Aria is the most advanced collection yet.
Young and Fun – If you’re looking to add a little color to your skincare routine, this Limited Edition PLUS Whimsy gift set would be perfect for you. With all the wonderful features of the PLUS, and a playful, bright design, you’re sure to add some extra cheer to your holidays. This Limited Edition Gift Set includes a Body Brush Head as well as a complimentary gift of a Sensitive Brush Head and travel bag with purchase.
Your Special Guy – Men love tools – so why not surprise him with the most talked about skin care tool on the market? The Carbon Fiber Clarisonic Mia comes with a Deep Pore Cleansing Brush Head and will give him cleaner, healthier, younger looking skin, not to mention a much closer shave!
Acne Clarifying Collection – If your fight against acne seems like a never-ending quest, then our Acne Clarifying Collection is for you. Pairing the power of the Clarisonic Mia with our Acne Cleansing Brush Head and Acne Daily Clarifying Cleanser, this collection helps reduce and prevent blemishes while simplifying your cleansing routine.
Which Holiday Limited Edition Gift Set is your favorite?
Crisp air, falling leaves, cozy throws, and pumpkin treats – fall is a magical time of year!
Unfortunately, it’s also the time of year when the days start getting shorter and we lose an extra hour of daylight when the clocks get turned back.
This lack of sunshine can cause havoc on our moods and energy levels, so to prepare you for the shorter days ahead we wanted to provide you with a few tips for staying cheerful and energized:
- Vitamin D – The sun is the best source of Vitamin D, which our body needs to function properly, so with shorter days comes less vitamin D – potentially causing depression, fatigue, muscle weakness, and more. Consider supplements, and be sure to incorporate fish, eggs, milk, shitake and button mushrooms into your diet.
- Happy light – Improve your mood, energy and concentration with a sunshine supplement light system, which prompts your body’s natural energy enhancers to combat the effects of seasonal changes by helping the body recalibrate and stabilize.
- Sleep schedule – Try adjusting your sleep schedule to get the most sunlight possible out of your day. By going to bed and waking up earlier, you will still get the beauty sleep you need while catching some extra daylight. Tough, yes, but definitely worth it!
- Cozy up in front of a fire – Fire has a unique ability to relax us and calm the mind, so why not kill two birds with one stone by cozying up in a nice cashmere throw in front of a fire as it warms your home.
- Surround yourself with light – While we’re usually not supporters of wasting energy, we’re willing to make an exception in the fall. Pick a room or two in your home where you spend the most time and make sure it’s thoroughly lit to make ensure your home is as cheery as can be during these gloomy days.
- Exercise – It’s no secret that exercise lifts mood, increases energy and elevates your metabolism. Even 10 to 15 minutes of exercise per day can do wonders for your mood, and if you do it outdoors in the sunshine, you will get double the benefits. So aim to get outdoors each day, even if it’s just for a short walk.
Do you have trouble staying awake and energized during this time of the year? Tell us how you keep the blues away!
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by kelsey_lovefusionphoto
Summer sun is here, and it can feel like a constant battle to keep your skin looking healthy and radiant. During the summer months, skin is exposed to a lot more irritants than during the rest of the year and it’s important to know how to deal with them properly.
Here are a few common summertime skincare mistakes, and some quick fixes:
Applying sunscreen incorrectly – Sun exposure takes its toll on your skin, so sun protection is serious business. While many believe that applying sunscreen once a day is sufficient, in reality most sunscreens should be reapplied every two hours, or every hour if you are swimming or sweating. To keep your skin safe from damaging effects of the sun, apply sunscreen generously to exposed areas at least 30 minutes prior to heading out into the sun. Just as you should wash off any makeup before going to bed, you should remove sunscreen before going to sleep, so be sure to cleanse thoroughly after a day in the sun.
Applying make-up with low SPF protection – The skin on your face is more sensitive to the sun than the rest of your body, so it requires a little more attention. While numerous beauty products contain some UV protection, it may not be enough to keep your face safe from the sun’s powerful rays. Try applying sunscreen or primer containing SPF 30 or higher to your face before putting on make-up to prevent sunburns, dry skin, and wrinkles.
Unhealthy foods – Summer time living may be easy, but if you’re not careful, summer’s fattening foods can really damage skin. Skip the processed foods and opt for more natural alternatives such as summer fruits and fresh greens to fill your body with vitamins and nutrients.
Overlooking foot health – As temperatures rise, you may find yourself spending a lot more time in flip-flops and sandals. Exposing your feet to the hot summer air can leave your heels cracked and dry. Give your feet the attention and care they need by applying lotion to keep them soft and moisturized and exfoliating rough heels with a pumice stone to remove dead skin. Finish off your foot treatment with a pedicure, and then show it off in your favorite open toed sandals!
Scratching mosquito bites – Summer is a time to enjoy the outdoors, but mosquito bites are unfortunately often a package deal. While our first instinct is to scratch the itch, breaking the skin can lead to infection and increased discomfort. Instead, try an antihistamine cream or calamine lotion to help the itch and swelling go down.
Fall comes with its own skin care concerns, so stay tuned for a future blog post on how to re-work your routine to fit your skin’s changing needs.
*Photo by Renee Fowler licensed through Creative Commons
When your body is properly hydrated, you look and feel your best. But will drinking water really improve the appearance of your skin and give you that glow you’ve always wanted?
Consuming the right amount of water maintains a healthy level of moisture within the skin cells. If your skin is not getting a sufficient amount of water, it tends to become dry, tight, flaky, and wrinkly. With adequate hydration, you’ll have healthier and younger looking skin.
How do you determine how much water you should drink daily? While the recommended amount varies depending on many factors including your physical activity, current health condition, and even the weather, the Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate daily water intake for men is roughly about 13 cups and for women about 9 cups.
Here are just a few of the ways drinking water can benefit your body:
• Increased energy
• Reduced risk of disease and infection
• A radiant complexion
• Flush out toxins
• Improve circulation and blood flow
• Moisturize and protect the joints
• Enhance health
• Regulate body temperature
• Carry nutrients to every cell of your body
• Burn more fat and gain more muscle
Keep in mind that drinking water alone won’t get you to flawless skin and that drinking an excessive amount can lead to serious health complications. Experts say that a combination of a balanced diet, sunscreen, cleansing, and plenty of exercise are also vital to improving your skin’s appearance. It’s never too late to start the healthy habit of drinking water!
Summer is the season when we dare to go bare! Swimsuits, summer dresses, and tanks all have one thing in common – an exposed back. So how do you make sure the skin you’re showing off is at its best? We’ve got a few beauty tips that will ensure that this summer you’ll be sporting healthy, radiant, and sun-kissed skin.
Cleansing If you are worried about body acne, there are a few ways to help get rid of it. The Clarisonic PLUS with a Body Brush Extension Handle makes it easy to deep-clean hard-to-reach areas. If you have long hair, make sure to keep it clean and off your back to prevent additional dirt and oil from clogging your pores.
Tanning While summer is the best time for showing off your skin, it also comes with a risk of sunburns and UV ray exposure. Protect your body from the damaging effects of the sun by slathering your skin with sunscreen that’s at least SPF 15. Remember, using sunscreen doesn’t mean that you have to miss out on a sun-kissed summer glow. A self-tanner, used properly, gives you soft and evenly bronzed skin.
Moisturizing Hot summer air tends to dry out skin and reduce its natural glow. Even though your back needs just as much moisture as the rest of your body, it is often overlooked. Keep your skin supple, healthy, and younger looking this summer by moisturizing your back after cleansing or before heading off to bed. And to make sure that all eyes are on you when you hit the beach, try adding a subtle shimmer to your skin with a sparkling lotion.
Exercising Well-toned back muscles not only look stunning in a low-back dress but also make you look slimmer without losing an ounce. If you would like to get a smooth, toned back, try exercises that specifically target the muscles of the back like the Pullup, Pushup-Position Row, Superwoman and Lat Pulldown. Make sure to incorporate all back muscles into your workout routine, including lats, upper back and lower back, instead of just focusing on trouble areas. Don’t forget to wash up right after working out to minimize breakouts.
Looking for more inspiration to show your back in its best light? Be sure to check out our new Bringing Sexy Back Pinterest board featuring fashion, beauty products, exercises, and tips for highlighting your back’s best features.
Coconut oil is not only an amazing ingredient for general health, but also does wonders for your hair and skin.
They say beauty is only skin deep, but the way our skin appears is often a direct result of the lifestyles we lead and the foods we consume. Our bodies love whole, natural products that are easy to digest and absorb, and contain the nutrients we rely on for energy and growth. That’s why one of our favorite natural beauty secrets is coconut oil.
Coconut oil is made up of medium-chain fatty acids that are easy for the body to dissolve and turn into energy or use to strengthen and repair connective tissue. It also has powerful antioxidant effects that stimulate thyroid function, boost your metabolism, and help heal damaged hair and skin. Some coconut oil studies even report a decreased risk of cancer and heart disease.
Here are just a few of the ways you can incorporate coconut oil into your diet and your skincare routine:
- Use it to improve your skin. By protecting against free-radicals that cause wrinkles and aging, coconut oil can keep your skin looking young and smooth. It also has strong hydrating effects that help you lock in moisture—great for those moments before you dry off after a shower.
- It works as a deep conditioner for your hair, repairing damaged hair follicles and adding shine to your locks. Just pour a small amount into your hands and massage it into your scalp and the ends of your hair for a few minutes, then rinse it out. You’ll notice a new shine right away.
- Mix it with brown sugar to create a body scrub and exfoliate. Slough away dead skin cells and make your skin smell amazing while you’re at it.
- To help prevent sunburn—or provide relief if you already have one.
- Add a teaspoon or two to your meals. We love it mixed into smoothies or drizzled over a salad.
Health and wellness is all about giving your body the care and nutrition it needs, and whole, natural ingredients are key. Take a look at our post on the Best 5 Skin Care Ingredients From Your Kitchen and stay tuned for more Natural Beauty Secrets to come!
Have you tried using coconut oil as a beauty product before?
Vacation season is on the horizon and it’s time to think about getting swimsuit-ready.
Donning a bikini in front of others takes courage and confidence, but if you take good care of your body beforehand you’ll be beach-ready and worry free by the time you hit the sand. Just be sure to eat your full 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day, drink lots of water, and choose your beauty regimen with care.
Waxing: If you’re thinking of getting a bikini wax, do your research before deciding on a spa. Traditional waxing can be harmful to your skin and unsanitary if done incorrectly, so we tend to prefer sugaring (a natural, toxin-free process that only adheres to hair, so it won’t damage your skin).
Tanning: If you want to come to the beach with a glow, skip the tanning beds and try a self-tanner. You can check out our tips for getting the perfect sunless tan if you’re looking for options. And don’t forget to use and reapply sunscreen regularly once you’re out in the sun.
Cleansing: If you think you’re the only person out there with body acne, rest assured that you’re not. Everyone deals with it at some point, and getting rid of it is just a matter living a healthy lifestyle and cleansing regularly. The Clarisonic Body Brush Extension Handle makes it easy to deep-clean hard-to-reach spots like the middle of your back, your knees, and your feet.
Exercise: Try exercises that tone your body, like yoga or jogging. Just don’t stress out about it too much. Extreme dieting and last-minute sets of 100 sit-up repetitions won’t do anything for you but make you tired (and they might even cause more acne!).
Now, get out there and enjoy yourself. You deserve it!
*Photo by Kidoki licensed through Creative Commons