Looking for the secret to healthier hair and glowing skin? Look no further, we’ve found a superfood that is sure to satisfy your appetite and keep you looking great.
Besides being rich in protein and vitamin D, the Omega-3 fatty acids found in this tasty cold-water fish are the key to long, healthy “lox” and a glowing complexion.
Here are just a few benefits of eating salmon:
- Younger looking skin – Salmon is one of the best sources of Omega-3 fatty acids, which keep your skin supple, moisturized, and blemish free. They lock moisture into skin cells, encouraging the production of strong collagen and elastin fibers, which contribute to more youthful looking skin.
- Sun protection – The combination of salmon’s essential fatty acids and selenium will protect your skin from UV damage and premature aging. Therefore, consider treating yourself to this tasty fish if you’re thinking of heading out into the sun.
- Healthy hair – Loaded with protein and fish oil, salmon provides nourishment to hair follicles, promoting healthy and lustrous hair. The combination of high selenium content and vitamins B5 and B12 encourages hair growth and ensures that your hair shines.
- Weight loss - The Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D and selenium, together help to increase the body’s metabolism by facilitating the absorption of sugar and therefore lowering the blood sugar levels. Delicious and slimming – yes please!
- Bone strength – The vitamin D in salmon keeps your bones and teeth strong and healthy.
- Cardiovascular health – While the Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce cholesterol and strengthen cardiac muscles, the essential amino acids repair damage to cardiovascular tissues. Together, they help control high blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels, overall considerably reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Muscle and tissue development – Proteins, amino acids, and selenium are essential components of muscle and tissue building, making salmon the perfect addition to your diet if you’re looking to tone and strengthen your body.
- Improved Eye Health – The Omega 3 fatty acids and amino acids found in salmon help improve eye health and prevent macular degeneration, dryness, and fatigue of the eyes. Pair these results with our Opal and Anti-Aging Sea Serum to get the noticeably firmer skin around your eyes to really show them off.
Salmon’s health benefits are too great to ignore, so if you want gorgeous skin, lustrous hair, and a slimmer figure, consider incorporating salmon into your diet. Try it baked, broiled, grilled, or sashimi style to get on your way to a healthier you.
The holidays are fast approaching which means it’s time to glimmer, shine, and shimmer. With the holiday party invitations already beginning to roll in, we’re sharing our picks for this holiday season’s hottest trends to ensure you look elegant and festive, party after party:
Tis’ the season to break out some sassy and playful holiday makeup – glittery lips, metallic eyes, and luminescent skin all send us into fits of twinkling delight this time of year. We love the smoky eye look for a party, and lining your eyes with a thin sweep of glitter shadow on the upper and lower rims of eye is sure to make your eyes twinkle.
Sweep hair up for a dose of instant drama and feminine flair for all your holiday festivities. An updo is a great way to accentuate your neckline and show off your favorite pair of sparkly earrings.
The perfect party dress
Glam it up for the holidays in a glittering sequin dress. This season is all about all things that sparkle, and this pick is sure to dazzle, thanks to its chic, swingy silhouette and the sequins adorning the bodice.
Make the most of your holidays with the season’s most festive accents. Accessories can help you complete the look at create the perfect ensemble for any event. So be sure to incorporate a lot of metallic tones and sparkle into your shoes, jewelry and other accessories.
What will you wear?
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by Jennuine Captures
Fall’s deep and rich color palette is no match for beach bleached and sun scorched hair. So now that the summer is officially over, it’s time to pay some extra attention to your hair.
With all this hot weather and fun summer activities, chances are you spent more time outdoors this summer than you do during the rest of the year, therefore exposing your hair to sun, sand, salt, and chlorine – all of which can wreak havoc on the color and texture of your hair.
Make your hair healthy, shiny, and smooth with these tips for post summer hair repair:
- Trim split ends – Getting a mini hair trim doesn’t have to sacrifice length, remove a bit of hair from the ends to snip the split ends in the bud.
- Replace lost moisture – Moisturize your dehydrated hair by applying an intense hydrating hair mask, such as Moroccan Oil, on a weekly basis.
- Apply straightening cream – If you hair feels frizzier than usual, try swapping your regular hair styling products for a straightening cream, which is designed specifically to make your hair look smoother.
- Detangle your hair using a wide-tooth comb – Start brushing at your ends and work up to your roots to minimize tangles. The hair straightening cream should help detangle your hair, making brushing a breeze.
- Take cold water showers – Hot water dries skin and hair, adding to that summer hair crunch. Thirty seconds under cold running water will help seal the cuticles on the hair shaft, trapping moisture in the hair and creating that beautiful hair shine.
- Protect from future damage – Try applying Grapeseed Oil to you hair whenever heading out into the sun this fall. It is capable of protecting the hair from temperatures up to 450 degrees, making sure you can start getting your hair back to normal as soon as possible.
- Nourish your hair with a homemade avocado mask – Just mash an avocado and put it on your hair for five to seven minutes. Be sure to thoroughly rinse off the mask once it had enough time to soak in all the nutrients.
Look your best this season with glowing skin and healthy hair. Follow these tips to revive the ravages of summer and your hair will be an expression of the depth and richness of fall.
Photo by The Devil Saint
If you’ve ever heard the saying “you are what you eat,” you know that it is important to fill your body with natural foods full of vitamins and nutrients to keep it healthy. Avocados are delicious and nutritious and provide a variety of benefits for your body. The oils found in avocados are made up of fatty acids, vitamins and essential nutrients with antioxidant qualities that sooth and moisturize the skin.
Here are a few ways you can incorporate avocados and their oil into your diet and beauty routine:
Skincare – Avocados are rich in Vitamin A, which is critical in maintaining and restoring healthy skin. Their antioxidant properties help eliminate the toxins that cause premature aging and wrinkling of the skin. To improve your skin’s complexion, treat yourself to an avocado facial by mashing and applying the avocado to the skin two to four times a week for 10 minutes at a time, and thoroughly rinsing your face with water following each treatment.
Hair conditioning – Create a conditioning mask for your hair by mashing one avocado with an egg and a tablespoon of olive oil and then applying it directly on the scalp for 20 min prior to your regular hair care routine. This mask offers a hydrating effect as well as helps hair regain its shine, elasticity and body.
Sun protection – Applying avocado oil to your skin before heading out into the sun can help to naturally protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun. Avocados are also famous for their anti-inflammatory properties, so if you are looking to alleviate the pain of a sunburn, lather a mashed avocado onto your skin for a quick relief.
Diet benefits –Although 85% of the calories in avocados come from fat, this fat is unusual as it offers numerous health benefits. Packed with healthy monounsaturated fat, lutein, folate, potassium and other vitamins and nutrients, avocadoes fight high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, and prevent health problems such as diabetes and cancer. Incorporating avocadoes into your diet can be as simple as adding fresh slices to your salads, sandwiches, and tacos.
Clearly, the avocado has been deemed a “wonder fruit” for good reason! We’ll be covering additional natural ingredients that can have a beneficial impact on your body in future blog posts, so keep an eye out and be sure to check out our post on Natural Beauty Secrets: Coconut Oil.
Summer is about to kick into high gear, so we’re covering which trends will be sizzling this summer and how to incorporate your unique style and features into the mix. Your face shape, hair texture and hair thickness are great natural guidelines for determining the hair style that best highlights your features.
Before scheduling your next appointment with your stylist, take a look at these tips for personalizing your haircut and style to your face shape:
Oval Faces – An oval face is the most versatile as most hairstyles look good with it. This face shape is well proportioned so there are plenty of ways to show off your style while looking your best. To make the most of your oval face, try getting a long cut with layers near your cheekbones, lips, or chin, depending on what feature you’d like to accentuate. If you’re looking to keep it light this summer, consider getting a short cut or a shoulder-length style. For a beach ready look, waves or curls are also a great option. Just make sure to choose a hairstyle that doesn’t cover your beautiful face shape.
Heart Shaped Faces – Women with heart-shaped faces should consider flattering hairstyles that consist of deep side bangs or layers. If you want to soften a somewhat pointy chin, drawing attention to your eyes and cheekbones should do the trick. Any textured chin-length hairstyles will suit this shape wonderfully. A great summer choice is getting a short cut with fullness around the jaw line. Want to get bangs? Just make sure that they are side-swept instead of going straight across, so that your face doesn’t appear shorter and wider.
Round Faces – For women who have this face shape, the secret to a great hairstyle is to deflect attention from the roundness of your face. Long hair looks absolutely stunning on round faces because it lengthens the face, but if you prefer a shorter look, be sure to stay away from cuts that stop at the chin as hairstyles that frame the face simply emphasize the round shape. Center parts and deep side parts are a great way to complement this shape. Try choosing an asymmetrical cut that adds angles and minimizes volume.
Square Faces – If you have a square face, select a long hairstyle that softens the strong angles of the face. Consider a layered cut that starts at the jawline and sports a center or a deep side part. Wispy forward falling hair will soften the square lines of your face. Having your bangs swept over to one side minimizes this shape, while parting your hair in the middle can work against you. If you go with a shorter hairstyle, stay away from cuts shorter than chin length as well as one-layer bobs and solid straight bangs.
Remember that updos are huge this season and are a great look for oval, square, round and heart face shapes.
Have you ever styled your hair for a special occasion only find yourself stuck to the pillow the next morning from too much hair spray? Cosmopolitan gives you a few easy tips to keep your hair looking picture perfect the morning after!
Start with an off-center chignon; it’s easiest if you do it without a mirror. Make a low ponytail behind one ear, and then on the last loop, pull hair through partway to form a messy bun.
Voila! You have a quick and easy up-do that will leave you looking fabulous morning and night. Do you have tips and tricks for making your formal hairdo last? We’d love to hear them!