How working up a sweat keeps your skin healthy.
- Always remove your makeup prior to working out
- Clean your face as soon after working out as possible
- Rehydrating is an important step to keeping your skin fresh
There is no doubt that hitting the gym for a daily sweat sesh has some serious benefits for your bod, but have you ever thought about what it can do for your skin?
Getting a daily dose of exercise helps lower cortisol levels – a hormone released in response to stress that can lead to a breakdown in the collagen of the skin, eventually leading to wrinkles. In addition to bringing amazing stress relief, exercise leads to an increased production of collagen and ultimately, firmer, younger looking skin.
Sweating is a natural way for your body to clear the dirt and toxins that accumulate in your pores and activating this process daily can contribute to that healthy glow we are all striving for. Think of it as a trip to the spa. According to Dr. Mauro Romita, a board-certified plastic surgeon and founder of Ajune Center for Beauty Synergy in New York City, exercise enhances circulation bringing blood flow and oxygen to the skin and increases the delivery of nutrients. This process helps repair damage from daily environmental insults like the sun.
A few things to remember so your fitness routine doesn’t have a negative impact on your complexion:
Always, always, remove your makeup. Working out with a face full of makeup is a recipe for clogged pores and a breakout reminiscent of pre-pubescence.
Ditch the dirty duds. Hanging out in your sweaty gym clothes allows oil and grime to get comfortable, often resulting in body breakouts. Even if you can’t shower post-workout, freshen up with a cleansing wipe and switch to a fresh change of clothes.
Moisturize. Intense exercise can be unforgiving on already sensitive skin (the skin on your face is more delicate than anywhere else on your body!). Rehydrating after your workout is an important step to in giving back what may have been lost through sweat.
No more excuses, get moving and enjoy the benefits a healthy, fit body!
Now that we’re a few weeks into the New Year and we’ve all had some time to reflect on the changes we want to make, it’s time to make sure we set ourselves up for success.
Unfortunately, whether it’s getting in better shape, improving your skincare routine, or kicking a bad habit, few New Year’s resolutions make it through January.
A New Year offers another opportunity to start fresh and achieve your goals, so if you’re serious about making some lifestyle changes, check out these 7 tips to help make you more successful in realizing your resolutions.
- Choose an obtainable goal – Being realistic is one of the most important factors in goal setting, so be sure to set a goal that is within your reach. Setting a resolution that is too far out of your comfort zone is the surest way to fall short.
- Outline your plan – Breaking down the plan into smaller goals along the way will make it less intimidating. Taking it only one small goal at a time will make you proud of your achievements along the way and ultimately help you reach the ultimate goal. There are plenty of tools out there to help.
- Recruit a buddy – Share your resolution with friends and family who can offer support when you’re wavering and praise you when you’re sticking to your goals. Find a buddy with a similar resolution that you can take on together by motivating each other.
- Allow mistakes – Everyone has an occasional slip, but that doesn’t mean we should beat ourselves up over it and completely give up. Just view these mistakes as learning opportunities and focus on doing the best you can each day.
- Track your progress – Record your progress as you go to keep track of every success, no matter how small. Each accomplishment will give you the confidence to stick with your goal, especially as you get closer to the ultimate resolution.
- Reward yourself – Set up a series of rewards that will keep you motivated when sticking to the program gets tough. Then, celebrate your successes along the way by treating yourself to something you enjoy that doesn’t impede your resolution. If your resolution is to have better skin, reward yourself with a Clarisonic Cleansing System – it will get you quicker to your goal and will make a fabulous addition to your skincare routine.
- Stick to it – Adjusting to the changes to your lifestyle may be tough at first, but after a little while (around 21 days) they become habit. Don’t expect it to happen overnight, so be patient and persistent.
What New Year resolutions made your top 5 list?
Whether it is taking care of your skin, eating right, or staying active, we at Clarisonic are all about living a healthy lifestyle. As part of a great daily routine, we should all try to include some type of physical activity. The majority of us love to stay active outdoors but busy schedules and the weather can get in the way. Heading to the gym may be the most convenient way to get an amazing workout into that jam packed schedule of yours.
Here are 6 essential items we believe every gym bag should have:
1. Music Player
The tread mill and elliptical can be very monotonous, so listening to music can be a great motivator. Creating a playlist with your favorite upbeat songs will surely help get you through your workout in no time.
2. Flip Flops
A great line of attack in good hygiene is to bring your own flip flops to the gym. If you are going to hop into the shower, this can be a simple and easy way to cut your chances of contracting a gross fungal infection on your feet.
We all want to smell fresh and clean after a great workout, especially if we have somewhere important to go. Try a clear, natural deodorant to stay dry and battle unwanted odor and minimizes streaks on your clothes.
Another must have is a personal towel, to wipe yourself down after a shower or after a hard workout.
5. Water Bottle
Always bring a water bottle. Staying hydrated before, during, and after a fantastic workout is important. Opt for a stainless steel BPA-free water bottle. Not only does a portable water bottle cut down on plastics entering our landfills, studies have shown that BPA may have harmful effects on the body.
6. Mini Product Bottles
Keep you gym bag stocked with mini bottles filled with your regular skincare products. Just because you may have to shower at the gym, doesn’t mean you should neglect your skincare.
As a Clarisonic fan, what do you pack in your bag when hitting the gym?