If you love fruit that’s both delicious and good for you – you’re in for a treat!
The pitaya, also known as the dragon fruit, is not only an amazing ingredient for general health, but also does wonders for your skin – which is why it is one of our favorite natural beauty secrets.
This fruit keeps popping up as key ingredient in numerous beauty products and nutritional supplements for its richness in fiber, antioxidants and natural oils.
Here are just a few of the ways the pitaya can benefit your skin and body:
- Fights aging – The pitaya is a rich source of antioxidants and helps to fight free radicals in the body. Decreasing the number of free radicals slows down the aging process, leaving you with younger-looking skin.
- Rich source of vitamins and minerals – Full of vitamin C and B as well as minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and iron, this fruit helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Great source of fiber – The pitaya is well known for its cleansing properties of the digestive system, and we all know that having a healthy digestive system can do wonders for your skin and overall health.
- Weight management – Because the pitaya is low in calories and rich source of fiber, it helps to give the sensation of being full without adding extra pounds.
- Healthy heart – Not only does this fruit help reduce bad cholesterol while improving good cholesterol levels, it is also full of mono-saturated fats, which ensure the cardiovascular system is in tip-top shape.
- Improves eyesight – Pitaya contains carotene which helps in maintaining and improving eyesight.
Tasty and full of health benefits, pitaya is generally cut in half and eaten raw (including the seeds) using a spoon. You can add a little tang by squeezing a few drops of lemon directly onto the fruit. It would make a great dessert addition or blended with other tropical fruits in a smoothie.
We’ll be providing continuing coverage of additional natural ingredients that can have a beneficial impact on your body in future blog posts, so keep an eye out and be sure to check out our previous posts on Natural Beauty Secrets: Coconut Oil, Avocado, and Kale.
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by Olivier H.