Spring is quickly approaching: soon Uggs and sweaters will make way for flip flops and sundresses. Though the temptation may be powerful to jump in a tanning bed for some color before baring your limbs, be strong! As skin enthusiasts, we can’t overstate the harmful effects of tanning beds enough, in addition to the long-term benefits of shielding your skin from the damage sun exposure causes. Here are some healthy tips to create that beautiful tan you’re longing for with the help of a few key products:
Sunless tanner. Sunless tanners and bronzers have come a long way from the days of orange, streaky nightmares. Today, proper exfoliation and quality products will give you a glow that’s unidentifiable from the real thing. Use your Clarisonic with your favorite body exfoliant in the shower (we love Kiehl’s Crème de Corps Soy Milk and Hony Body Polish which exfoliates while moisturizing), dry off then apply an even coat of moisturizer over your whole body. Let it soak in for a few minutes (too much wetness could potentially create streaks in your tan).
Make sure you find the right self-tanner for you by doing your research (we like St. Tropez and Clarins’ self-tanners) and going through a “test run” – choose an unnoticeable location to dab a bit of the tanner to see how it reacts with your skin before covering your body with it. Once you’ve found the right tanner, apply it carefully, wearing latex gloves to avoid dyed palms. You might prefer using tinted foam or lotion rather than a neutral tone, since you will easily be able to see your application. Spread the self-tanner evenly in straight motions (circular motions can cause streaking) and be particularly careful of areas with dryer skin or crevices, like elbows and feet. Keep in mind that you should do a lighter coat when first trying a self-tanner – if it’s too light, you can always add more later.
Make sure you don’t have plans or visitors right after applying your self-tanner, because you’re going to need to hang out au naturale for about half an hour (follow your sunless tanner’s instructions) to ensure you get a smooth, even application. And if you do happen to get a few spots which look a bit streaky or orange, no fear! Add a bit of lemon juice to your Clarisonic brush head and cleanse the area to help even it out.
What are your favorite sunless tanners and bronzers?
You decided on a system, made the skinvestment and now you want to know, how long until you see results? Dr. Robb answers that question in this week’s Ask Dr. Robb series.
Dr. Robb says, when we invented the Clarisonic and tried it on our faces, we wanted to create something that had the “wow out of the box” factor. This means, the first time you take it out and you use it your skin feels and looks different. Often, for most people it is one time – that’s all it takes to see results. For some people, it takes a couple before they actually see the results they want to see
We all know that traditionally men spend less time dedicated to skin care than women, that doesn’t make the need any less important.
The first and single most important step is cleansing. It should be the basis of your skin care regimen and the one step that isn’t skipped. Men typically have larger pores than women and very active sebaceous glands. This means greasier skin that can lead to clogged pores – which in turn can lead to breakouts. Cleansing that removes dead skin cells and opens up pores is the best way to combat oily skin and prevent breakouts. The removal of dead skin on your face also aids in shaving. Not only does unclogging pores keep you free of ingrown hairs, but you will also be able to achieve a closer shave.
A great way to achieve clean clear skin and a closer shave in one step is to use the Clarisonic Sonic Cleansing System. The Clarisonic uses sonic frequency of more than 300 movements per second to gently, yet thoroughly remove 2x more dirt and oil than cleansing with your hands alone.
Take a look at some of the posts from male bloggers that have used the Clarisonic Sonic Cleansing system and start your journey to cleaner, smoother more kissable skin today.
A daily skin regimen is vital as your skin ages. It’s a general fact that cared for skin looks younger – there’s no doubt about it. We’ve broken down the general points to a good anti-aging routine. Don’t worry if you’ve let your skin care regimen lapse. Take our tips and you should start seeing results in no time.
The start of any skin care routine is cleansing. This may seem like a simple step, but finding a cleanser that works for your skin type is very important. Once you find a cleanser that is perfect for your skin, stick to it. Be sure to cleanse your skin daily, washing off makeup and daytime build up nightly before bed. A clear clean face is the first step to healthy beautiful skin.
The key to younger looking skin is to remove old skin cells. Your skin sheds it’s dead cells all the time and they lie on the surface blocking moisture from being absorbed into the skin. A great way to alleviate these unwanted skin cells is to exfoliate. Removing these cells daily will lead to easier and deeper absorption of your other skin care products. Sloughing off dead skin cells daily will lead to glowing and silky smooth skin.
To round out your anti-aging skin care ritual, the last step is moisturizing. Providing your skin nutrient-rich vitamins to your skin will help promote new healthy skin to grow while protecting and nurturing the skin you have. Moisturizing in the morning promotes all-day hydration and gives your skin a great base for your makeup. Moisturizing prior to bed-time enables your skin to restore itself properly during the nighttime hours.
Once you’ve finished moisturizing-you’re done! Getting down your skincare routine is the tough part. Once you start pampering your skin regularly you will see the results of younger looking skin. Happy Sonic Cleansing!
What are you doing to turn back the clock?
One of our most frequently asked questions is when you should change your brush heads. Dr. Robb answers that question in our Ask Dr. Robb video series. What other questions do you have for Dr. Robb?
Dr. Robb says, we recommend that you replace your brush heads every 3-4 months. This is a hygienic thing, after a while they start to look a little funky because you’ve been using them so long; especially if you use them for cleansing off your makeup. Dr. Robb says the thing that he does, is he has it in the shower. The Clarisonic is totally waterproof. So you can take it into the shower with you, apply the cleanser to it, put it on your face, it goes for a minute then turns off. Then what you can do is rinse off the brush, add a little shampoo to the brush head, rub it around, and then just rinse it underneath the shower head, shake off the extra water and then leave it in the shower until your next use. Once a week we recommend that you take off the brush head. Don’t worry about getting water on the area underneath the brush head, let the water cascade down, or if you’re at the sink let the spigot rinse off the interior. Shake it off, let it sit overnight, then the next morning, put on the brush head and you are good to go!
Check out our other blog post which explains how to remove your brush head from its handle for cleaning HERE.
Normal vs. Sensitive, Deep Pore Cleansing or Delicate; how are all of these brush heads different? Dr. Robb explains the differences between our brush heads in our latest edition of Ask Dr. Robb.
Ask Dr. Robb: Explain the difference between brush heads.
Dr. Robb is displaying a Clarisonic PRO with a Sensitive Brush Head. All Clarisonic handles come with a Sensitive Brush Head attached. The Sensitive Brush Head is the middle of the road brush head. The Clarisonic was designed with different brush heads because everybody’s skin is different, and throughout the year your skin changes based on the seasons. Sometimes you may want to use the Sensitive Brush Head, other times you want to switch over and try the Normal Brush Head. Guys love the Normal Brush head – it has the gray base. The Normal Brush Head is great for applying shaving cream and then shave afterward and have an incredible smooth shave. The other brush head that we have for a different skin type is the Delicate Brush Head it has a blue base. The Delicate Brush Head was actually launched in Japan to start with, because the Japanese have very sensitive skin. But now it is so popular, it is sold throughout the world. For those who have super delicate skin.
We changed our focus on Brush Heads, we went from different skin types (Sensitive, Normal and Delicate) to different skin conditions. This is one of them, see the blue ring of bristles? It is called, the Deep Pore Cleansing Brush Head. It is great for those people who have oily skin and those congested pores around their nose that are hard to reach, and on the tops of the cheeks. This has a different movement than our other brush heads, the bristles in the center move one direction, while the outside bristles move the other direction. This allows you to get focused cleansing in very concentrated areas right around the pores. Then we’ve gone to the Acne Brush Head it’s a great product if you have acne conditions because it creates more foam, and bubbles. When you use the Acne Brush Head you will see more lathering, this is because there are more bristles per tuft. Finally the last brush head is the big one called the Body Brush. If you have a PRO handle it knows it is a Body Brush and changes the speed and timer moves a little more vigorous. Great for the elbows, knees, back area and moves at different frequency than all the other facial brushes.
Those are the differences between the Brush Heads pick out which one fits your skin best and go for it!
Beauty starts from the inside out, and we all know carrots support eye health and apples keep the doctor away. But did you know that these common household ingredients can do as much for your skin when applied topically as many creams and scrubs?
1. Milk. The lactic acid in milk naturally exfoliates your skin while its fatty properties soothe and moisturize. Additionally, milk contains numerous vitamins and minerals that benefit your skin, including vitamins A and D. Deep cleanse your face with your favorite Clarisonic to prepare your skin to absorb the milk’s nutritive properties, then sweep cotton balls doused in whole milk around your orbital bone (the delicate area around your eyes). Rinse your face fully after and then apply your favorite eye cream using your Opal for maximum penetration.
Additional tips: Also consider adding 2 cups of whole milk to your bath to soften your entire body and using powdered milk with a bit of water (enough to make a paste) for a smoothing 5-minute face masque.
2. Oatmeal. You know oatmeal is good for your internal health, but did you know it could make you beautiful on the outside, too? Oatmeal softens and soothes, unveiling radiant skin no matter the weather. Oats contain polysaccharides which become gelatinous in water, forming a protective barrier between your skin and the elements. Not only does this barrier aide in dry skin prevention in winter, it also keeps natural moisture in and harmful toxins out. Furthermore, the fats in oatmeal help lubricate and moisturize your skin while saponins (natural cleansers that oats possess) gently purify your pores. Next time you’re cooking up porridge for breakfast, set some aside for your skincare regimen!
Additional tip: Use your Clarisonic body brush head to deep cleanse from head to toe then form a simple exfoliating scrub of warm water and oatmeal (simply add enough warm water to the oatmeal to form a thick paste). Rub the mixture in circular motions and rinse for baby soft skin.
3. Baking soda. Believe it or not, this odor-fighting substance is also a natural exfoliant. Many man-made exfoliants can be damaging to your skin, while this natural substance is coarse enough to remove the top layer of dead skin cells and fine enough to not irritate the new skin beneath. Additionally, it has the same cleansing benefits for your skin as it does for your teeth, without any harsh chemicals or additives. Once a week (depending on your skin’s sensitivity), add a bit of baking soda to your regular cleanser when using your Clarisonic to reveal glowing, fresh skin.
Additional tip: Make a paste of baking soda and a bit of water – a ratio of about 3 to 1 – to rub on the roughest patches of skin, such as the elbows and the feet, getting rid of stubborn calluses and dry patches.
4. Coconut oil. Coconut oil is a wonderful addition to your skin care regimen. Loaded with beneficial nutrients like vitamins K and E, this natural moisturizer will help your skin repair itself and actually help protect your skin from sun damage. Additionally, the powerful antioxidants in coconut oil (particularly in virgin coconut oil – meaning it hasn’t been treated) can minimize the effects of aging by preventing free radicals from breaking down the tissues of your skin. After cleansing your body, apply the coconut oil as you would any lotion or massage oil.
Additional tip: For an exfoliating and antioxidant rich facial and/or body scrub, combine brown sugar and virgin coconut oil at about a 3-to-1 ratio. Mix then slough away!
5. Honey. Packed with flavonoids (which protect cells), natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, honey is truly Mother Nature’s nectar. The antioxidants it contains help prevent aging while its humectant state (meaning it attracts and retains water) helps keep skin hydrated. Its anti-microbial properties help soothe irritated skin, including mild sunburns. Add a cup of honey to your bath water for a luxurious treat.
Tell us in the comments below what your favorite homemade skincare remedies are!
Additional tip: A recent study found that a mixture of honey, olive oil and beeswax actually help relieve symptoms associated with eczema and psoriasis when applied topically.
Photo by go elsewhere…
Acne is a real tough skin problem, applying the correct tips and tricks can help minimize the effect and help clear up acne. Apart from the many acne treatments that are available such as our new Clarisonic Acne Clarifying Collection Kit, we have compiled some easy tips that can help you keep your acne under control.
Acne busting dos
- Keep skin clean! Never go to bed without washing off the day’s dirt, oil and makeup. Nighttime while sleeping is the best time for your skin to heal.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Create and keep to a daily skin care routine.
- Hydrate your skin, even oily skin needs moisturizing. Find an oil free moisturizer and apply daily.
Acne causing don’ts
- Remember to cleanse daily but gently. Don’t use harsh soaps and scrubs. Acneic skin is sensitive when compromised.
- Don’t pick or pop pimples.
- Do not use oil based makeup or face creams.
What are your tips to control your acne?