Beauty starts from the inside out, and we all know carrots support eye health and apples keep the doctor away. But did you know that these common household ingredients can do as much for your skin when applied topically as many creams and scrubs?
1. Milk. The lactic acid in milk naturally exfoliates your skin while its fatty properties soothe and moisturize. Additionally, milk contains numerous vitamins and minerals that benefit your skin, including vitamins A and D. Deep cleanse your face with your favorite Clarisonic to prepare your skin to absorb the milk’s nutritive properties, then sweep cotton balls doused in whole milk around your orbital bone (the delicate area around your eyes). Rinse your face fully after and then apply your favorite eye cream using your Opal for maximum penetration.
Additional tips: Also consider adding 2 cups of whole milk to your bath to soften your entire body and using powdered milk with a bit of water (enough to make a paste) for a smoothing 5-minute face masque.
2. Oatmeal. You know oatmeal is good for your internal health, but did you know it could make you beautiful on the outside, too? Oatmeal softens and soothes, unveiling radiant skin no matter the weather. Oats contain polysaccharides which become gelatinous in water, forming a protective barrier between your skin and the elements. Not only does this barrier aide in dry skin prevention in winter, it also keeps natural moisture in and harmful toxins out. Furthermore, the fats in oatmeal help lubricate and moisturize your skin while saponins (natural cleansers that oats possess) gently purify your pores. Next time you’re cooking up porridge for breakfast, set some aside for your skincare regimen!
Additional tip: Use your Clarisonic body brush head to deep cleanse from head to toe then form a simple exfoliating scrub of warm water and oatmeal (simply add enough warm water to the oatmeal to form a thick paste). Rub the mixture in circular motions and rinse for baby soft skin.
3. Baking soda. Believe it or not, this odor-fighting substance is also a natural exfoliant. Many man-made exfoliants can be damaging to your skin, while this natural substance is coarse enough to remove the top layer of dead skin cells and fine enough to not irritate the new skin beneath. Additionally, it has the same cleansing benefits for your skin as it does for your teeth, without any harsh chemicals or additives. Once a week (depending on your skin’s sensitivity), add a bit of baking soda to your regular cleanser when using your Clarisonic to reveal glowing, fresh skin.
Additional tip: Make a paste of baking soda and a bit of water – a ratio of about 3 to 1 – to rub on the roughest patches of skin, such as the elbows and the feet, getting rid of stubborn calluses and dry patches.
4. Coconut oil. Coconut oil is a wonderful addition to your skin care regimen. Loaded with beneficial nutrients like vitamins K and E, this natural moisturizer will help your skin repair itself and actually help protect your skin from sun damage. Additionally, the powerful antioxidants in coconut oil (particularly in virgin coconut oil – meaning it hasn’t been treated) can minimize the effects of aging by preventing free radicals from breaking down the tissues of your skin. After cleansing your body, apply the coconut oil as you would any lotion or massage oil.
Additional tip: For an exfoliating and antioxidant rich facial and/or body scrub, combine brown sugar and virgin coconut oil at about a 3-to-1 ratio. Mix then slough away!
5. Honey. Packed with flavonoids (which protect cells), natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, honey is truly Mother Nature’s nectar. The antioxidants it contains help prevent aging while its humectant state (meaning it attracts and retains water) helps keep skin hydrated. Its anti-microbial properties help soothe irritated skin, including mild sunburns. Add a cup of honey to your bath water for a luxurious treat.
Tell us in the comments below what your favorite homemade skincare remedies are!
Additional tip: A recent study found that a mixture of honey, olive oil and beeswax actually help relieve symptoms associated with eczema and psoriasis when applied topically.
Photo by go elsewhere…
Acne is a real tough skin problem, applying the correct tips and tricks can help minimize the effect and help clear up acne. Apart from the many acne treatments that are available such as our new Clarisonic Acne Clarifying Collection Kit, we have compiled some easy tips that can help you keep your acne under control.
Acne busting dos
- Keep skin clean! Never go to bed without washing off the day’s dirt, oil and makeup. Nighttime while sleeping is the best time for your skin to heal.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Create and keep to a daily skin care routine.
- Hydrate your skin, even oily skin needs moisturizing. Find an oil free moisturizer and apply daily.
Acne causing don’ts
- Remember to cleanse daily but gently. Don’t use harsh soaps and scrubs. Acneic skin is sensitive when compromised.
- Don’t pick or pop pimples.
- Do not use oil based makeup or face creams.
What are your tips to control your acne?
We all want smooth radiant skin and using the Clarisonic is one way to achieve it. Dr. Robb answers whether using a facial scrub with our system is too much.
Dr. Robb says we don’t recommend you use facial scrubs that have odd shaped particles like pointed pieces of sand or grit. Round spheres are no problem. What Dr. Robb does is use the Refining Skin Polish that comes with the Clarisonic PLUS once a week on his face and every other day, uses regular face wash.
Pregnancy can wreak havoc on your hormones and your skin. The Clarisonic’s patented Sonic Technology removes 6x more makeup than manual cleansing alone by gently gliding over the skin. The sonic micro-message loosens and removes dirt and oil from pores, clarifying skin without harsh chemicals therefore, improving skin texture. The Sonic technology removes pollutants, oil and bacteria that accumulate on the skin giving a sonic boost to your skin care products and reducing the need for harsh chemicals. Dr. Robb lends his expertise as he answers the question, are the Clarisonic and Opal safe to use during pregnancy and on my bump?
Dr. Robb says that both the Clarisonic and Opal are safe to use on your face for daily cleansing during pregnancy. It is not recommended that you use the Clarisonic on your growing baby bump because it’s a very delicate area, something that is very precious. You could consult you OBGYN but we hope your baby is going to know the feeling when they get older and start using their own Clarisonic.
Dr. Robb also recently told us about what age your child can start using the Clarisonic.
Have you ever been invited to a last minute client meeting on ponytail day, or forgot about happy hour with the girls with no time to freshen up? These can happen to anyone but they don’t have to stop you from looking and feeling your best. We’ve put together a list of the essential items every woman should have at her disposal in case of emergency. Remember, a great skin care regimen can’t be replaced by these, but these could help you in a pinch!
Q-tips: These are a life saver; use them with your hand lotion to remove any smudged makeup to keep you from having dreaded raccoon eyes.
Sewing kit: Button fall off or get a rip in your outfit? A sewing kit is a great way to make repairs on-the-go.
Double Sided tape: Not quite on the sewing bandwagon? Double-sided tape can also do the trick to fix rips or keep your clothes in place.
Stain remover: Don’t let a spill ruin your outfit; keep a travel stain remover on hand for those unfortunate mishaps.
Blotting tissues: Oily skin can make you look tired, give your skin a quick refresh by removing excess oil. Even if you don’t have your compact, your complexion will thank you and you will arrive fresh faced.
Hand lotion: The stresses of a busy day and the harsh soaps found in public bathrooms can wreak havoc on your skin. Enter hand lotion. You can also use a small drop to slick back unruly flyaways for a sleek, sophisticated ponytail.
Lip stain or gloss: Brighten up your lips and use a little extra on your cheeks to give your face a rosy glow.
What else would you add to your beauty survival kit?
First things first, Dr. Robb explains Keratosis Pilaris and then answers Tamica’s question about using the body brush to help with this skin condition. If you have ever wondered if the Clarisonic is suitable to use with skin conditions, watch the video to find out!
Dr. Robb says this is commonly known as K.P. or chicken skin because it looks like a plucked chicken. People with K.P. usually get bumps on the back of the arms or the sides of the legs. The Clarisonic is great for smoothing those out, exfoliating the skin, keeping your skin soft and smooth, and then you can apply your moisturizer. Sometimes you can go to the doctors for this condition and they have certain types of acids in those moisturizers to help soften that area and keep it soft and smooth. The Clarisonic body brush is the first step to that.
Congratulations to Tamica Damara who has won a Clarisonic Mia for submitting this question!
It’s that time of year when everyone reflects on the past 12-months and tries to think of one thing they will resolve to complete in the upcoming year. We’ve compiled some beauty resolutions that if kept, will keep you feeling and looking wonderful well into the New Year.
Get more sleep: Fully restful sleep ranging from 6-8 hours will not only have you feeling refreshed, it will invigorate your entire body. Sleep gives your body time to heal and the supercharge you need to get through a busy day. They don’t call it beauty sleep for nothing.
Drink more water: The benefits of drinking water are enormous. Water flushes out your system removing impurities from your body and skin. If drinking 8 glasses of water sounds horribly boring, add lime, lemon or orange slices to spice it up. A sprig of mint or slice of cucumber also makes for a refreshing drink. Cheers!
Commit to a skin care routine: Start the year off strong with a dedicated routine for your skin. Look into products formulated for your skin type and determine any specific needs your skin may need whether it’s acne or more hydration. Once you determine what your skin needs, stick to your routine daily. Don’t forget your SPF!
Laugh more: Laughing and smiling will help you not only look better but you will feel better too. Laughter lightens a room and makes everyone around you happier.
What is your feel-good resolution for 2012?
“I’d rather take care of my skin than have to cover it all up with makeup”, this beauty truth comes from none other than country music star Faith Hill. InStyle magazine talks beauty with Faith, and we learn that her Clarisonic is the secret to her flawless complexion! Faith says, “It’s like cleaning my face times 10 way deeper than the washcloth.”
We also get some insight into her other favorite beauty items. Being huge admirers of Faith’s timeless beauty, we took copious notes, take a peek here!
Faith also shared her best beauty advice saying she drinks about 90 ounces of water a day! At Clarisonic, we know keeping yourself and your skin hydrated is important. She also credits her mile long lashes to L’Oreal Paris, Voluminous Mascara; and her youthful flush to Kevin Aucoin, The Pure Powder Glow in Shadore.
We are so excited to have Faith Hill as a part of our Clarisonic Family, we think her luminous skin looks flawless and we bet her handsome husband Tim McGraw agrees. We are happy to see she is experiencing the benefits of the Clarisonic and can’t wait to see the Sonerific results in her next music video.