One of the first things many of us do every morning is cleanse, powder, and paint our faces. The cleansing part makes perfect sense, but what about the makeup? Why wear it?
It’s a question we don’t honestly ask ourselves very often, and the answer is a little different for everyone. Some wear it to cover blemishes and hide the parts of their appearance they don’t like, some use it to feel more confident and put-together, and others just love the creative twist it ads to their style. Many women also think makeup makes them look more competent, and survey data from the New York Times seems to support that idea. We shared the Times article with our fans on Facebook and responses ranged from the opinion that “less is more,” to the idea that it makes you “look more polished and more confident.”
We’re all about natural beauty here at Clarisonic, so we tend to like wearing only enough makeup to enhance the features that are already there. Makeup can be fun and help you stand out, but it’s also important to know and be comfortable in your own skin, and realize that you are a beautiful individual with or without it.
Last May, two middle school girls from Phoenix, Arizona named Gabby Klein and Michaela Good issued a challenge called “Only You,” encouraging girls to show off their natural appearance for a day and go without any make-up. They were frustrated by the unattainable beauty standards set by Hollywood, the media, and photoshop-loving women’s magazines, and decided to try and encourage girls everywhere to embrace their own skin. So far they’ve received national news coverage and support from women and girls all over the country. In North Carolina, a UNC-Charlotte educator named Rosie Molinary is also encouraging her students to try going a day without makeup. “Our skin is neither perfect nor bad,” she says, “and showing it in its natural form can be refreshing.”
We couldn’t agree more, and we love the idea that more women are going without makeup or aiming for a simple, natural look. It’s all about letting your inner—and outer—glow shine through. The more you take care of your skin and let it breathe, the better you’ll feel about showing it to the world.
What are your thoughts? Could you live without makeup?
Hey Sonic Fans! We are excited to celebrate the launch of our new Pedi Sonic Foot Transformation system, so in our next #SonicChat we’ll be chatting about foot care. Join on Tuesday (10/08/2013) at 11am, PDT (2pm EST). Don’t miss out on a great time!
How the #SonicChat works:
- We’ve already set up a tweet chat “room” that you can use to participate here: http://tweetchat.com/room/SonicChat
- Many people also like to use Hootsuite or Tweetdeck for tweet chats. If this is the case for you, you’ll just need to set up a column with the hashtag #SonicChat.
- Join in any time during the hour. The more the merrier!
- We will ask a series of questions, each beginning with “Q1,” “Q2,” and so on. If you’d like to answer a question, just tweet back with “A1,” “A2,” etc. to the corresponding question.
- Feel free to RT great comments from @Clarisonic or other participants in the chat, and interact as much or as little as you like. Just be sure to include the hashtag #SonicChat in all your tweets so everyone can keep track of the conversation!
- Most of all, #SonicChat is about learning, sharing, and having fun.
Sound like something you’d like to check out? Join us on Tuesday at 11am PDT. Let’s do this!
It’s starting to heat up outside and the layers are coming off. But how do you stay stylish when all you want to wear each day are shorts and tank tops? Accessories. Hats, shoes, jewelry, and sunglasses are fun and easy ways to make otherwise simple outfits stand out. Here are our picks for summer’s hottest accessories.
Wide-brimmed, floppy hats are total statement pieces, and they have the added benefit of shielding your face from harmful UV rays. We like this simple, black hat from Zara, but a classic straw shade is great, too. Pair your hat with a maxi dress or some short shorts and strappy sandals, or bring it with you to the beach.
Sunglasses are the most obvious summer accessory, but styles come and go with the years. Stick to a classic shape that fits your face shape and you’ll be able to wear them dressed up or down. We love the TOMS eyewear line because it’s simple and classic with a unique touch of color, but also gives you the opportunity to help someone in need. With every pair you purchase, TOMS will help give sight to a person in need.
Wedges are the perfect summer shoe. Comfortable, easy to wear day or night, and fun—we can’t get enough of them. We love these Kelly green Santa Monica Pier Wedges from ModCloth because the color is on-trend and attention-grabbing. Ankle-strap platforms are another fun trend this summer – check out this list from Lucky to find a pair that you like.
Nothing will dress up a plain t-shirt faster than a bold, brightly-colored necklace like this J.Crew Bubble Necklace. This season is all about neon, so be bold and embrace lively colors. You’ll shine even brighter in the sun!
Balance out a flowing white blouse or a little white dress with a few stacked wooden bracelets on your wrists. Wooden jewelry gives your style a natural, organic feel but still stands out. It’s also more comfortable in the hot sun than metal! Check out Good Housekeeping’s picks for some great, affordable options.
Add a burst of color to your outfit—and emphasize your womanly figure—with a summery leather belt. We love J. Crew’s neon skinny belts!
Which summer accessories are you dying to get your hands on? Did we forget any major looks?
It will never happen to me. That’s what we all like to think—until one of our loved ones is diagnosed, or the doctor gives us a call.
Skin cancer affects a whopping one in five Americans, but the good news is that it’s highly preventable. A few simple lifestyle changes can mean a world of difference for your health, so take a few minutes to read these tips and pass them on to your loved ones. You just might save a life!
- Stick to the shade. The sun’s UV rays are strongest between 10am and 4pm, so be especially careful about sun exposure during those hours. This cute and clever Melanoma Bracelet will change color in the sun to let you know if you’re in harm’s way.
- Cover up. Call it an excuse to buy that cute new hat you saw while window shopping the other day, or an opportunity to try out a fun maxi dress. Either way, you’ll be stylish and safe.
- Lay it on thick. You can work that bikini at the beach, but don’t forget to wear your sunscreen, too! In fact, you should be wearing SPF 30 or higher every day – whether you’re sunbathing or just walking to the office. Try an all-natural sunscreen like Josie Maran’s Daily Sun Protention or even basic coconut oil, and reapply every few hours.
- Know your skin. Your skin is an organ just like your heart or your liver, and you need to take good care of it. Spend a few minutes every month scanning your own moles and freckles to see if any have changed in size, shape or color. Be proactive at the doctor’s office, too; schedule a full body screening with the dermatologist at least once a year.
- No tanning beds. Seriously. It’s not worth it. According to skincancer.org, just four visits to the tanning a bed a year can increase your risk of melanoma by 11%!
You are beautiful as you are. Tanned, freckled, smooth or wrinkled—your skin is unique, just like you, and it’s worth taking care of.
What other tips do you have for protecting your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays and preventing skin cancer?
*photo by Elisabeth R on Flickr
For nearly 20 years, Pantone, the global authority on color, has surveyed the designers of New York Fashion Week to bring you the season’s most important color trends. We’ve pulled the colors, some cute clothes and accessories, and our Mia and Mia 2 to help you get the most out of the season’s hottest colors.
Pantone named tangerine the it color of 2012. Tangerine is a very flattering color for most skin tones due to its high saturation and reddish undertones. When the warm weather hits, try wearing a bold dress, top or sandals in this shade. However, if you’re feeling a little color shy, start small by rocking a tangerine manicure or accessory. The newest edition to the Mia 2 family is named mango and matches Pantone’s color of the year to a tee. For those going on name recognition we also have a Limited Edition Mia named Tangerine. Both would be the perfect accessory to add some spring to your bathroom.
Each year the spring color list is not complete without a shade of pink. This season’s chosen hue is a pink with a hint of orange. The color blends femininity and touch of edginess that will be able to work with most wardrobes. Our new Mia 2 in Coral would be a perfect way to bring this spring color into your life.
Anyone who loves color probably has a pop of Kelly Green in their wardrobe. This fresh hue started gaining popularity after Emily Blunt wore it at the SAG Awards earlier this year. It is the perfect pop of color to transition to warmer weather and blooming color palettes. Bring it into your space with our Limited Edition Kelly Green Mia.
The spring 2012 color trends are said to be influenced by “renewed energy, optimism and the promise of a brighter day”. These colors as well as the feeling of Sonic Cleansing embody a mixture of sunny bright, lighthearted hues.
We can’t thank you enough for all of your rave reviews of our products. Thanks to your support, we have received multiple beauty industry awards and readers’ choice awards. Here is a selection of the recent recognitions and awards.
Total Beauty‘s readers voted in the readers’ choice awards while the editors decided on the editor’s pick in 57 hot categories of beauty products. We can’t thank them enough for their picks!
- “Best Beauty Gadget” for the “Reader’s Choice” category: Clarisonic Classic
- “Best Beauty Gadget” for the “Editor’s Pick: Rising Star” category: Clarisonic Mia
The theme of this award was products that make you look and feel amazing. The products in this contest were chosen by a panel of Self readers who tested them in their own homes and submitted their honest feedback.
Self Editors’ Favorite: Clarisonic Mia Sonic Skin Cleansing System
FOF readers were asked to fill out a survey of the fabulous things they discovered in 2011, from foodie finds and beauty products to exercise routines and tech gadgets.
- Beauty Product Discovery: Clarisonic Mia
Neiman Marcus customers were able to vote for their favorite products from 14 different categories. We’re happy to have been nominated twice.
- Neiman Marcus Beauty Award Finalist 2012 Clarisonic Mia
- Neiman Marcus Beauty Award Finalist 2012 Clarisonic PLUS
Elle Canada named the Clarisonic PLUS Sonic Skin Cleansing System Editor’s Pick. “After a few days using the Clarisonic PLUS, I can’t believe that, beforehand, I chose the Neanderthal-like ‘hand method’ as my cleansing method of choice. Friends, the future is here.”
The Mia 2 Sonic Skin Cleansing System is a finalist in the Prevention Beauty Awards.
Clarisonic Aria won an Allure Best of Beauty Award in the “Top Splurges” category. “This oscillating brush leaves skin extravagantly soft – and ready to lap up anti-agers.”
She kissed your owies when you were a child and dried your tears when your heart broke for the first time. She told you how smart and beautiful you were when you felt the opposite, and encouraged you to go after all of your passions—whether you wanted to be a ballet dancer or a doctor. No one knows you better than your mom, and you wouldn’t be the person you are today without her.
After all these years it’s still a challenge to think of the perfect gift for her, but when it comes to showing your appreciation, it really is the thought that counts. Here are a few simple Mother’s Day gift ideas to help you do just that:
- Fresh flowers are the classic Mother’s Day gift. Make your bouquet unique by hand selecting each flower yourself. Choosing the colors, scents, and varieties she likes best will make this traditional gift even more thoughtful.
- Who doesn’t love a day at the spa? Treat mom to a hot stone massage, a mani-pedi, or a facial—many specialty spas actually include a Clarisonic cleansing as part of their treatment now.
- Give her a brand new Clarisonic Opal Sonic Infusion System with Anti-Aging Sea Serum, so she can have the spa treatment at home whenever she wants. She’ll feel refreshed and energized with skin that looks brighter, younger, and more beautiful than ever.
- Spend an afternoon together. One of the best gifts you can give a loved one is your time, so take mom wine tasting at a local vineyard or offer to help her out in the garden for a few hours.
- What’s the one thing your mom has always wanted to learn to do, but never found time for? Making pottery? Figuring out what it takes to bake a soufflé? Find a local class where she can do just that. If she’s nervous, offer to take the class with her!
- Potted indoor plants are a lovely, longer-lasting alternative to fresh flowers. If your mom likes to cook, pick out a few potted herbs (rosemary and basil are great options) to put on her kitchen windowsill. If not, try a succulent or two. They come in all kinds of charming varieties and are easy to take care of.
- Find an old photo of the two of you and put it in a nice frame. Set it by her bed when she isn’t looking so she’ll be surprised to find it in the morning. Who wouldn’t love to wake up to that?
What other great Mother’s Day gift ideas do you have? Share them in the comments!
The Clarisonic relies on patented, cutting-edge technology, so it’s no secret that we like to stay at the forefront of everything in the beauty world. Have you ever turned broken eyeshadow into a trendy matte nail polish? We hadn’t either, until we discovered an eye-catching photo along with a DIY tutorial with our newest guilty pleasure!
Ladies and gentlemen, meet Pinterest! This spark of beauty genius relies on the passions of its users to collect and post on a digital pinboard. This pinboard can then be shared with followers for other users to see and pin for themselves. It is the tech-savvy, inspirational big sister of scrapbooking and is taking the beauty universe by storm!
Though Pinterest is not technically open to the public, there are two ways to create an account. One is to have a friend already on Pinterest send you an invitation. The second option is to click “Request An Invite” on the homepage and enter your email address for Pinterest to invite you. Invitations typically come within a day or so.
We know you’re ready to get your creative juices flowing. Do you use Pinterest? Leave a link to your page below – we love seeing our Sonic Circle’s creativity shine and be sure to follow us!