Dads are notoriously hard to shop for. Not necessarily because it’s hard to pin down their interests, but because they have a knack for responding to every request for a gift list with: “Oh I’m fine. I don’t need anything.” It’s a line that probably never fails to make you smile, but it sure doesn’t make gift giving any easier.
Since dad hardly ever buys himself anything (and he definitely doesn’t ask for it), think carefully about what he owns that could use refreshing or replacing. Find a way to shave a few minutes off his daily routine so he has more time for fun. Think about that thing he always used to do but hasn’t done in a while. Make it something he’ll use and enjoy, not just another tie.
Here are our suggestions for gifts your dad is sure to love. If you enjoyed our 7 Simple Mother’s Day Gift Ideas, you’ll definitely like these too.
- Kitchen tools—whether he’s an everyday chef or a master griller, he’s sure to appreciate a new set of pots and pans or quality knives. If he likes to experiment in the kitchen, go with something more fun and creative, like a pasta-maker or a cheese-making kit.
- A Graphite Gray Clarisonic Cleansing System –for cleaner skin and a cleaner shave. Our Graphite Gray Classic was developed with men in mind and comes with our Normal Brush Head, which has shorter bristles that work well on men’s tougher, oilier skin. It’s a great way to prep for shaving and will make sure he gets a closer and more comfortable shave. If you’re planning to get one for your dad for Father’s Day, order it before June 11th and we’ll send a complimentary Deep Pore Brush Head along with it!
- A day at the ballpark –spend an afternoon cheering his favorite team on with him in the stands. When’s the last time you had a ballpark hotdog anyway?
- Time outdoors —if your dad is the outdoorsy type, get outside and go on a hike with him. Or take a look at his camping gear and see if anything could use a replacement. That tent he bought ten years ago won’t last forever.
- Magazine subscriptions—there’s a magazine for every interest—whether it’s photography, fly fishing, or travel—so sign him up for one and help him take his hobbies to the next level.
What other useful gift ideas have you thought of? Do you or any men you know already use the Classic Cleansing System? Leave a comment to tell us about it!
Image by Roberto Ventre on Flickr
Vacation season is on the horizon and it’s time to think about getting swimsuit-ready.
Donning a bikini in front of others takes courage and confidence, but if you take good care of your body beforehand you’ll be beach-ready and worry free by the time you hit the sand. Just be sure to eat your full 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day, drink lots of water, and choose your beauty regimen with care.
Waxing: If you’re thinking of getting a bikini wax, do your research before deciding on a spa. Traditional waxing can be harmful to your skin and unsanitary if done incorrectly, so we tend to prefer sugaring (a natural, toxin-free process that only adheres to hair, so it won’t damage your skin).
Tanning: If you want to come to the beach with a glow, skip the tanning beds and try a self-tanner. You can check out our tips for getting the perfect sunless tan if you’re looking for options. And don’t forget to use and reapply sunscreen regularly once you’re out in the sun.
Cleansing: If you think you’re the only person out there with body acne, rest assured that you’re not. Everyone deals with it at some point, and getting rid of it is just a matter living a healthy lifestyle and cleansing regularly. The Clarisonic Body Brush Extension Handle makes it easy to deep-clean hard-to-reach spots like the middle of your back, your knees, and your feet.
Exercise: Try exercises that tone your body, like yoga or jogging. Just don’t stress out about it too much. Extreme dieting and last-minute sets of 100 sit-up repetitions won’t do anything for you but make you tired (and they might even cause more acne!).
Now, get out there and enjoy yourself. You deserve it!
*Photo by Kidoki licensed through Creative Commons
It will never happen to me. That’s what we all like to think—until one of our loved ones is diagnosed, or the doctor gives us a call.
Skin cancer affects a whopping one in five Americans, but the good news is that it’s highly preventable. A few simple lifestyle changes can mean a world of difference for your health, so take a few minutes to read these tips and pass them on to your loved ones. You just might save a life!
- Stick to the shade. The sun’s UV rays are strongest between 10am and 4pm, so be especially careful about sun exposure during those hours. This cute and clever Melanoma Bracelet will change color in the sun to let you know if you’re in harm’s way.
- Cover up. Call it an excuse to buy that cute new hat you saw while window shopping the other day, or an opportunity to try out a fun maxi dress. Either way, you’ll be stylish and safe.
- Lay it on thick. You can work that bikini at the beach, but don’t forget to wear your sunscreen, too! In fact, you should be wearing SPF 30 or higher every day – whether you’re sunbathing or just walking to the office. Try an all-natural sunscreen like Josie Maran’s Daily Sun Protention or even basic coconut oil, and reapply every few hours.
- Know your skin. Your skin is an organ just like your heart or your liver, and you need to take good care of it. Spend a few minutes every month scanning your own moles and freckles to see if any have changed in size, shape or color. Be proactive at the doctor’s office, too; schedule a full body screening with the dermatologist at least once a year.
- No tanning beds. Seriously. It’s not worth it. According to skincancer.org, just four visits to the tanning a bed a year can increase your risk of melanoma by 11%!
You are beautiful as you are. Tanned, freckled, smooth or wrinkled—your skin is unique, just like you, and it’s worth taking care of.
What other tips do you have for protecting your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays and preventing skin cancer?
*photo by Elisabeth R on Flickr
For nearly 20 years, Pantone, the global authority on color, has surveyed the designers of New York Fashion Week to bring you the season’s most important color trends. We’ve pulled the colors, some cute clothes and accessories, and our Mia and Mia 2 to help you get the most out of the season’s hottest colors.
Pantone named tangerine the it color of 2012. Tangerine is a very flattering color for most skin tones due to its high saturation and reddish undertones. When the warm weather hits, try wearing a bold dress, top or sandals in this shade. However, if you’re feeling a little color shy, start small by rocking a tangerine manicure or accessory. The newest edition to the Mia 2 family is named mango and matches Pantone’s color of the year to a tee. For those going on name recognition we also have a Limited Edition Mia named Tangerine. Both would be the perfect accessory to add some spring to your bathroom.
Each year the spring color list is not complete without a shade of pink. This season’s chosen hue is a pink with a hint of orange. The color blends femininity and touch of edginess that will be able to work with most wardrobes. Our new Mia 2 in Coral would be a perfect way to bring this spring color into your life.
Anyone who loves color probably has a pop of Kelly Green in their wardrobe. This fresh hue started gaining popularity after Emily Blunt wore it at the SAG Awards earlier this year. It is the perfect pop of color to transition to warmer weather and blooming color palettes. Bring it into your space with our Limited Edition Kelly Green Mia.
The spring 2012 color trends are said to be influenced by “renewed energy, optimism and the promise of a brighter day”. These colors as well as the feeling of Sonic Cleansing embody a mixture of sunny bright, lighthearted hues.
We can’t thank you enough for all of your rave reviews of our products. Thanks to your support, we have received multiple beauty industry awards and readers’ choice awards. Here is a selection of the recent recognitions and awards.
Total Beauty‘s readers voted in the readers’ choice awards while the editors decided on the editor’s pick in 57 hot categories of beauty products. We can’t thank them enough for their picks!
- “Best Beauty Gadget” for the “Reader’s Choice” category: Clarisonic Classic
- “Best Beauty Gadget” for the “Editor’s Pick: Rising Star” category: Clarisonic Mia
The theme of this award was products that make you look and feel amazing. The products in this contest were chosen by a panel of Self readers who tested them in their own homes and submitted their honest feedback.
Self Editors’ Favorite: Clarisonic Mia Sonic Skin Cleansing System
FOF readers were asked to fill out a survey of the fabulous things they discovered in 2011, from foodie finds and beauty products to exercise routines and tech gadgets.
- Beauty Product Discovery: Clarisonic Mia
Neiman Marcus customers were able to vote for their favorite products from 14 different categories. We’re happy to have been nominated twice.
- Neiman Marcus Beauty Award Finalist 2012 Clarisonic Mia
- Neiman Marcus Beauty Award Finalist 2012 Clarisonic PLUS
Elle Canada named the Clarisonic PLUS Sonic Skin Cleansing System Editor’s Pick. “After a few days using the Clarisonic PLUS, I can’t believe that, beforehand, I chose the Neanderthal-like ‘hand method’ as my cleansing method of choice. Friends, the future is here.”
The Mia 2 Sonic Skin Cleansing System is a finalist in the Prevention Beauty Awards.
Clarisonic Aria won an Allure Best of Beauty Award in the “Top Splurges” category. “This oscillating brush leaves skin extravagantly soft – and ready to lap up anti-agers.”
She kissed your owies when you were a child and dried your tears when your heart broke for the first time. She told you how smart and beautiful you were when you felt the opposite, and encouraged you to go after all of your passions—whether you wanted to be a ballet dancer or a doctor. No one knows you better than your mom, and you wouldn’t be the person you are today without her.
After all these years it’s still a challenge to think of the perfect gift for her, but when it comes to showing your appreciation, it really is the thought that counts. Here are a few simple Mother’s Day gift ideas to help you do just that:
- Fresh flowers are the classic Mother’s Day gift. Make your bouquet unique by hand selecting each flower yourself. Choosing the colors, scents, and varieties she likes best will make this traditional gift even more thoughtful.
- Who doesn’t love a day at the spa? Treat mom to a hot stone massage, a mani-pedi, or a facial—many specialty spas actually include a Clarisonic cleansing as part of their treatment now.
- Give her a brand new Clarisonic Opal Sonic Infusion System with Anti-Aging Sea Serum, so she can have the spa treatment at home whenever she wants. She’ll feel refreshed and energized with skin that looks brighter, younger, and more beautiful than ever.
- Spend an afternoon together. One of the best gifts you can give a loved one is your time, so take mom wine tasting at a local vineyard or offer to help her out in the garden for a few hours.
- What’s the one thing your mom has always wanted to learn to do, but never found time for? Making pottery? Figuring out what it takes to bake a soufflé? Find a local class where she can do just that. If she’s nervous, offer to take the class with her!
- Potted indoor plants are a lovely, longer-lasting alternative to fresh flowers. If your mom likes to cook, pick out a few potted herbs (rosemary and basil are great options) to put on her kitchen windowsill. If not, try a succulent or two. They come in all kinds of charming varieties and are easy to take care of.
- Find an old photo of the two of you and put it in a nice frame. Set it by her bed when she isn’t looking so she’ll be surprised to find it in the morning. Who wouldn’t love to wake up to that?
What other great Mother’s Day gift ideas do you have? Share them in the comments!
Men have been shaving for hundreds of years and are still looking for ways to get a closer shave. Dr. Robb discusses whether men get a closer shave by prepping with the Clarisonic in this video.
Dr. Robb says, an ingrown hair is a medical condition and Clarisonic does not make any claims to cure or treat medical conditions. Ingrown hairs have a great name, Pseudofolliculitis barbae. What this means is men with Mediterranean and African decent with curly hairs and they grow back or get caught underneath. The Clarisonic is great because it helps to lift hairs off the surface of the skin, and that is why you will get a better shave. We actually did a study with 55 men that said they got a closer shave they felt; because the Clarisonic helped prep the skin before they shaved.
Nearly 85 percent of all people have acne at some point in their lives, most often on their face, chest, and back. Dr. Robb tells us if it is okay to use your Clarisonic on acne compromised skin.
Dr. Robb says, a lot of people think that if I cleanse my skin, cleansing helps out and if I cleanse more it will help my skin more. Your skin talks to you and will let you know if you are using the Clarisonic on the wrong speed. It’s not going to hurt you; it just feels a little bit different if you are having a breakout. The main thing is, you don’t want to use anything if you have broken skin that has open lesions, please be careful of that. If you are really concerned and you don’t know, ask your skin care professional.