We all have those rarely used beauty products we aren’t quite ready to throw out. What we may not take into consideration is that beauty products do go bad. At best, they stop performing as well as they used to and at worst, they can cause irritation or even infection.
The expiration clock starts as soon as you open each product – allowing for air and bacteria to come in contact with the formula, causing certain ingredients to oxidize and degrade. There are usually signs of when a beauty product has taken a turn for the worst— an unpleasant odor, change in color, texture or consistency, or a separation of components within a product.
You know your beauty products won’t last forever, so be sure to reference this guide when deciding whether a certain product is still safe to use:
- Body lotions, shower gel, and shampoo: These products generally last about two years, unless they contain specialized ingredients to fight dandruff, acne or other conditions.
- Sunscreens: The active ingredients in sunscreen lose their potency after two to three years. Check the package for an expiration date as some brands print it directly on the package.
- Clarisonic replacement brush heads: For best results, replace your brush head every 3 to 4 months to prevent bacteria buildup. Buy more and save with our brush head twin packs offer.
- Face creams and acne treatments: These products last up to a year as they contain antioxidants that are easily oxidized, so keep an eye out for any changes in color. Be sure to follow the expiration date if available.
- Perfumes: Fragrances usually last about 2 years – they can be adversely affected by light and heat, so if you’re looking to get more mileage out of your perfume, resist the temptation to display a pretty bottle on your vanity and instead keep it in a cool, dark place.
- Nail polish: Polish tends to only last about a year as it is particularly sensitive to heat and humidity. If you notice your nail polish turning clumpy or stringy, it’s time to toss it out.
- Deodorant: For deodorants, a general rule of thumb is that it expires about 1 to 2 years after opening, while antiperspirants will typically have an expiry date printed on the package.
- Foundation: Check the ingredients on your foundation: A water-based foundation will last up to 12 months, oil-based will last up to 18 months. Be sure to wash your make-up brushes at least once every three months to reduce a buildup of bacteria.
- Mascara and liquid eyeliner: These products last three to four months. Make sure you’re diligent about replacing these items to prevent contamination and infections.
- Eye and lip pencils: These can usually last 3 to 5 years. Sharpen them before each use in order to preserve them and keep them clean.
- Lipstick: Lipstick is good for 1 to 2 years. When expires it tends to gather bacteria in the form of beads of oil on the surface of the lipstick itself as well as have unpleasant taste and odor.
Let’s face it, we all have some beauty products that have been sitting around for a while. Whatever the reason may be, if you’re not sure if it’s good any longer just throw out the old and bring in the new.
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by Mubina H.
Crisp air, falling leaves, cozy throws, and pumpkin treats – fall is a magical time of year!
Unfortunately, it’s also the time of year when the days start getting shorter and we lose an extra hour of daylight when the clocks get turned back.
This lack of sunshine can cause havoc on our moods and energy levels, so to prepare you for the shorter days ahead we wanted to provide you with a few tips for staying cheerful and energized:
- Vitamin D – The sun is the best source of Vitamin D, which our body needs to function properly, so with shorter days comes less vitamin D – potentially causing depression, fatigue, muscle weakness, and more. Consider supplements, and be sure to incorporate fish, eggs, milk, shitake and button mushrooms into your diet.
- Happy light – Improve your mood, energy and concentration with a sunshine supplement light system, which prompts your body’s natural energy enhancers to combat the effects of seasonal changes by helping the body recalibrate and stabilize.
- Sleep schedule – Try adjusting your sleep schedule to get the most sunlight possible out of your day. By going to bed and waking up earlier, you will still get the beauty sleep you need while catching some extra daylight. Tough, yes, but definitely worth it!
- Cozy up in front of a fire – Fire has a unique ability to relax us and calm the mind, so why not kill two birds with one stone by cozying up in a nice cashmere throw in front of a fire as it warms your home.
- Surround yourself with light – While we’re usually not supporters of wasting energy, we’re willing to make an exception in the fall. Pick a room or two in your home where you spend the most time and make sure it’s thoroughly lit to make ensure your home is as cheery as can be during these gloomy days.
- Exercise - It’s no secret that exercise lifts mood, increases energy and elevates your metabolism. Even 10 to 15 minutes of exercise per day can do wonders for your mood, and if you do it outdoors in the sunshine, you will get double the benefits. So aim to get outdoors each day, even if it’s just for a short walk.
Do you have trouble staying awake and energized during this time of the year? Tell us how you keep the blues away!
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by kelsey_lovefusionphoto
If you love fruit that’s both delicious and good for you – you’re in for a treat!
The pitaya, also known as the dragon fruit, is not only an amazing ingredient for general health, but also does wonders for your skin – which is why it is one of our favorite natural beauty secrets.
This fruit keeps popping up as key ingredient in numerous beauty products and nutritional supplements for its richness in fiber, antioxidants and natural oils.
Here are just a few of the ways the pitaya can benefit your skin and body:
- Fights aging – The pitaya is a rich source of antioxidants and helps to fight free radicals in the body. Decreasing the number of free radicals slows down the aging process, leaving you with younger-looking skin.
- Rich source of vitamins and minerals – Full of vitamin C and B as well as minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and iron, this fruit helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Great source of fiber – The pitaya is well known for its cleansing properties of the digestive system, and we all know that having a healthy digestive system can do wonders for your skin and overall health.
- Weight management – Because the pitaya is low in calories and rich source of fiber, it helps to give the sensation of being full without adding extra pounds.
- Healthy heart – Not only does this fruit help reduce bad cholesterol while improving good cholesterol levels, it is also full of mono-saturated fats, which ensure the cardiovascular system is in tip-top shape.
- Improves eyesight – Pitaya contains carotene which helps in maintaining and improving eyesight.
Tasty and full of health benefits, pitaya is generally cut in half and eaten raw (including the seeds) using a spoon. You can add a little tang by squeezing a few drops of lemon directly onto the fruit. It would make a great dessert addition or blended with other tropical fruits in a smoothie.
We’ll be providing continuing coverage of additional natural ingredients that can have a beneficial impact on your body in future blog posts, so keep an eye out and be sure to check out our previous posts on Natural Beauty Secrets: Coconut Oil, Avocado, and Kale.
Photo licensed through Creative Commons by Olivier H.
During October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Clarisonic is proud to support our year around charitable partner, Look Good Feel Better.
The mission of our partnership is to help raise awareness about and help provide funding for Look Good Feel Better‘s free nationwide beauty workshops and other resources that help give women with breast and other cancers the power to feel beautiful again. As you may know, Clarisonic has been involved with Look Good Feel Better since 2010, and has donated more than $2 million to this wonderful cause. In fact, Clarisonic is the largest corporate financial donor in the 23-year history of the Look Good Feel Better program.
Look Good Feel Better is a collaboration of the American Cancer Society, The Personal Care Products Council Foundation, and the Professional Beauty Association|National Cosmetology Association. Each year, over 50,000 women participate in more than 15,000 individual workshops led by certified beauty professionals and learn how to deal with treatment related skin and hair loss issues.
This October, we again salute the millions of breast cancer survivors whose extraordinary spirit and determination have helped them to battle and overcome cancer. Look Good Feel Better stands ready to help these women regain their self- esteem and confidence as they face the challenge of a lifetime.
You can help by helping to spread the word. Please click on the short Look Good Feel Better video below and view it; then share it or tweet it to your friends and family and ask them to also share this valuable information. After all, almost everyone knows someone whose life has been touched by cancer.
With all of our help, Look Good Feel Better can make a woman’s cancer journey a little brighter and her heart a little lighter by providing understanding, support and encouragement from caring volunteers and other women who have walked in her shoes. We need your help to give women the power to feel like themselves again!
In order to make sure that our fans have all the necessary information on how to properly charge their Clarisonic, we compiled a list of customer questions along with their answers:
How do I know when the Clarisonic needs to be recharged?
Sonic Cleansing Brushes: When the charge is low, the brush handle will beep immediately following the brushing cycle to alert you to place it in the cradle for charging.
Opal: When the system battery needs to be charged, the LED flashes and the Infuser pulses progressively from 1 to 5 times after the run cycle, beginning when the unit has 5 minutes of charge remaining (1 pulse), and again at the end of each use until the battery requires additional charge for continued use (5 pulses).
How long does a full battery charge last? How long does it take to charge?
Sonic Cleansing Brushes: Allow 18 hours for a full charge. A full battery charge lasts for 20 minutes of use, which is approximately 20 days when used once daily.
Opal: Allow 24 hours for a full charge. A full battery charge lasts for 45 minutes of use, which is approximately 45 days when used once a day around each eye or 21 days when used twice a day.
Refer to the comparison chart for a detailed description of charging intervals.
How do I change the battery on my Clarisonic?
The battery cannot be changed on any of our units. The life span of the units ranges from at least 2 years to up to 5 or more. If your Clarisonic device is not holding charge, try plugging it into a different outlet to reset the unit. Be sure to contact customer service to check whether your device is still covered under warranty.
Can the chargers for various Clarisonic models be used interchangeably?
Will the Mia charger work with international power?
Yes, the pLink charger included with the Mia is compatible with 100-240 Volts AC; 50/60 Hz. This allows it to be used worldwide with the appropriate country adapter.
The guide tells you to charge for 24 hours before use. What happens if it becomes disconnected after only a few hours? Will it still hold a charge?
Yes, just recharge it until the lights are solid green.
Where can I purchase a replacement charger for my Clarisonic?
You can call our customer service at 888-525-2747 to help purchase a new charger for your Clarisonic device.
Where is the LED light and how can you tell if the Clarisonic is fully charged?
The LED light is located on the back of the handle in the center of the brush. It will be flashing continuously until it is charged at which point it will become a solid light.
My Clarisonic Mia feels very warm for the first 10-15 seconds. Is that normal?
Yes, the Clarisonic does heat up when on the charger. It will feel warm to the touch but should not be uncomfortable.
Should I keep my Clarisonic on the charging cradle after each use or only charge it when it loses its charge?
We recommend always keeping your Clarisonic device on the charger when it’s not in use.
I recently have had problems with my Clarisonic starting and stopping on its own.
Sounds like some of the Clarisonic technology is malfunctioning. As with most electrical gadgets, a technical failure can be possible. Therefore, we are standing by to get your issue resolved and your system back up and running. We offer warranties on the systems in the event that something might happen, take a look at our blog post on what to do When Your Clarisonic Stops Working.
We’ve been blown away by our fans’ support.
We love hearing how the Clarisonic Skin Cleansing System has improved your skin – after all, our goal is to make the world a more beautiful place, one face at a time!
- Patches of dry skin are minimized, or disappear
- Pores are thoroughly cleansed, making them appear smaller
- Refreshed and hydrated skin that’s more receptive to product penetration
- Reduced appearance of fine lines, blackheads, blemishes, dullness, and puffiness
- Improvement in the texture and appearance of skin tone
“I’m so thrilled with this product.. The Mia 2 with acne cleanser is absolutely amazing!! My face after 2 days!! YES! 2 days is looking much smoother, less oily and acne is smaller is size! My face isn’t irritated and I don’t feel like scratching all the time!! I’m SO pleased and happy that something is working after all the years of having to deal with my facial acne.” -Carlene Alix
We greatly appreciate the feedback our customers provide us, and wanted to share this great Before & After story from a Clarisonic user. As you can see in the images below, after only 7 days of using Clarisonic, Amanda Trudy Blyskal showed significant improvements in skin tone and texture.
Here are some more great Before & After shots:
Sonic cleansing is the natural way to thoroughly cleanse all skin types. And unlike skin treatments that use harsh chemicals or rely on friction to remove impurities, the sonic micro-massage motion is effective, yet gentle enough to use twice a day – even on sensitive skin. This effortless action removes six times more dirt and oil than cleansing with your hands alone.
Share your story on our Facebook Reviews Tab – who knows, maybe it will make it on to our next Before & After post!
Image by Lady Por Menos – Moroccanoil e Clarisonic and Amanda Trudy Blyskal
Fall’s deep and rich color palette is no match for beach bleached and sun scorched hair. So now that the summer is officially over, it’s time to pay some extra attention to your hair.
With all this hot weather and fun summer activities, chances are you spent more time outdoors this summer than you do during the rest of the year, therefore exposing your hair to sun, sand, salt, and chlorine – all of which can wreak havoc on the color and texture of your hair.
Make your hair healthy, shiny, and smooth with these tips for post summer hair repair:
- Trim split ends – Getting a mini hair trim doesn’t have to sacrifice length, remove a bit of hair from the ends to snip the split ends in the bud.
- Replace lost moisture – Moisturize your dehydrated hair by applying an intense hydrating hair mask, such as Moroccan Oil, on a weekly basis.
- Apply straightening cream – If you hair feels frizzier than usual, try swapping your regular hair styling products for a straightening cream, which is designed specifically to make your hair look smoother.
- Detangle your hair using a wide-tooth comb – Start brushing at your ends and work up to your roots to minimize tangles. The hair straightening cream should help detangle your hair, making brushing a breeze.
- Take cold water showers – Hot water dries skin and hair, adding to that summer hair crunch. Thirty seconds under cold running water will help seal the cuticles on the hair shaft, trapping moisture in the hair and creating that beautiful hair shine.
- Protect from future damage – Try applying Grapeseed Oil to you hair whenever heading out into the sun this fall. It is capable of protecting the hair from temperatures up to 450 degrees, making sure you can start getting your hair back to normal as soon as possible.
- Nourish your hair with a homemade avocado mask – Just mash an avocado and put it on your hair for five to seven minutes. Be sure to thoroughly rinse off the mask once it had enough time to soak in all the nutrients.
Look your best this season with glowing skin and healthy hair. Follow these tips to revive the ravages of summer and your hair will be an expression of the depth and richness of fall.
Photo by The Devil Saint
Allure just published their Best of Beauty Awards for 2012, and guess who topped the list!
Allure’s Best of Beauty awards feature 245 exceptional lipsticks, line erasers, frizz fighters, and more. Reviews were conducted on the following beauty products line: Skin Care, Eyes, Hair, Cheap Thrills, Base, Lips, Cheeks, Beauty Breakthroughs, BodyTools, Best Splurges, Nails, Sensitive Skin, Scents, Natural Wonders, Guys’ Stuff.
Check out what Allure has to say about our latest cleansing brush – the Aria: http://www.allure.com/beauty-products/skin/facial-cleanser/2012/clarisonic-aria-sonic-cleansing-system